type of plastic use in UK home electrical fittings

Mains stuff really needs thermosetting plastics so it doesn't turn into cheese if something goes wrong and gets hot. Telecoms can use thermosoftening plastics, as there's not enough power there to overheat anything.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Yes, I found out the 'hard' (brittle?) way that, to some extent, the patress needs to be of better quality than the fitting. Even a slightly uneven wall can break a patress before the screws are done up. As for a cheap patress under a 40A pull-switch...!

Reply to
PeterC

I usually dremel the snap-lines before the final snap for just this reason

Reply to
Newshound

Easier and quicker to use a hacksaw? Unless you're dribble, obviously. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I bash it out with a screwdriver and then use a dremel abrasive band to clean up the edges if the break isn't clean.

Reply to
Mike