Type F connector to TV Coax adaptor

I recently bought a new CD/radio that uses a Type F connector instead of th e usual coax type. Thinking I was being smart I ordered what purports to b e an F to Coax adaptor off Ebay so that I could connect to an attic aerial, only to find that the coax diameter is 9.37mm instead of 9.45, and the pi n is a sloppy fit into the standard TV coax too.

Before I mutter to the supplier, is there another coax connector standard, or is this just out of tolerance parts ?

Thanks Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Why no just fit an F plug to the aerial cable.

F connectors vary in cable size.

is a good source of supply supply.

I the cable is to small for the plug you can always increase the diameter with some sticky tape.

Reply to
Michael Chare

F to Coax adaptor off Ebay so that I could connect to an attic aerial, only to find that the coax diameter is 9.37mm instead of 9.45, and the pin

is a sloppy fit into the standard TV coax too.

There's a European standard that's just that annoying bit smaller. Your best bet is to get an adaptor from CPC, or better still fit a 'f' plug directly onto the cable (unless you are using a flylead with moulded plugs).

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

That's a pretty hefty dia for ordinary aerial down lead.

But isn't the cable already terminated with a "Belling Lee" male? So what you want is a Belling Lee female to F type male adapter? That doesn't fit with your description of what you bought. F type pins are normally the 1 mm inner from the cable that will be a sloppy fit into a Belling Lee socket...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

robgraham formulated the question :

You can buy adaptors for Belling-Lee old type TV plugs, to F-plugs. the other way around. You can also get the same from B L socket to F-plug.

If you want to swap the B L to an F-plug, you need to be aware that there are at least three different sizes of F-Plugs, to accomodate different sizes of co-ax.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield was thinking very hard :

[EDIT] you can only use an F-plug fitted on a coax, if the coax centre core is a solid one. Multi-stranded centres will not work.
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

No, he means the dia of the plug barrel.

That's what he means. Isn't it?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

With twist-on F connectors that's probably true.

But you can use a solder-type F plug (I just bought one) with multi-stranded cable, and get more flexibility in the cable.

Reply to
Windmill

That's probably what it is then. Just how b****y stupid is that then. I'll go for an F connector - the seller has done a refund.

Thanks all

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Years ago a wholesaler I know thought he got a bargain when he bought

100,000 of those foreign coax plugs for £2,000. After trying to foist them off on the local riggers at 4p each (the cheapest ones at the time were 6p) he ended up taking about 99,900 of them to the tip. Of course nowadays he'd put them on eBay in the hope that they'd sell to Europe.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright