Two PIR sensors to actuate one device

Are we sure this isn't Wodney?

Reply to
Bob Eager

Definitely. I killfiled him 2 weeks ago. Although Aussies are well known for not being as chicken shit as Brits.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Quite: Reg. 314.4, also 132.10 in the fundamental principles.

Reply to
Andy Wade

It is when you are employed to do that work and you will be sacked if you don't observe the regs or shafted for not observing the regs with work you are paid to do.

You clearly are, which is why you are completely unemployable and why you keep getting the bums rush from any operation that is actually stupid enough to give you a job until they notice your problem with ear to ear dog shit.

Reply to
Jim Thomas

Wrong.

Even more pig ignorant than you usually manage.

Reply to
Jim Thomas

Not necessarily until after you had got fried.

And the other problem with that approach is when the active and neutral are swapped in the GPO etc.

Reply to
Jim Thomas

Then work in a job without silly rules.

Actually, my willingness to bend rules to get the job done was welcomed at the two main jobs I've worked in.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

What's the chances of me happening to touch the right things to get a shock just at the point the neutral breaks?

What is a GPO? In the UK that is a post office.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Bending the rules is not the same thing as leaving an electrical installaion in a dangerous condition.

Reply to
ARW

The rules we are talking about are those concerned with being overly cautious, so in this case, they are precisely the same.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Yeah this is one of those two sides of the same coin things....

We have a situation where the circuit that someone has isolated and tested dead, can now randomly become live again, st the whim of a neighbours cat that decides to walk up a path and trigger a PIR.

To you apparently even giving this scenario even a moments consideration is being "overly cautious".

To us it indicates that you are a complete imbecile, and letting you near any electrical installation would likely be criminal negligence.

Reply to
John Rumm

Actually it can't. For the circuit to backfeed, both sensors need to switch on the light at once. If you've switched off the input power to one of the sensors, it cannot operate.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Makes a lot more sense to observe the sensible rules that the electrical industry has instead.

And ignore the stupid ones when you can get away with doing that.

And you got the bums rush anyway because of your ear to ear dog shit.

Reply to
Jim Thomas

Doesn't have to be just after, any time after the neutral fails can kill you with the neutral connected to the body and you have to go out of your way to never touch the body in case it might have had a neutral failure and with quite a bit of stuff like power tools and small appliances, you actually grip the body so that you won't be able to let go if the neutral has failed.

Power point. That's why the etc was there and for extension cords etc.

Reply to
Jim Thomas

If you can get away with ignoring a decent amount of rules, then perhaps= . But there comes a point when there are too many stupid rules you can'= t get away with breaking.

I'll assume bums rush means fired. You are incorrect. One I got fired = from for revealing that the bosses had lost =A34 million. The other I r= esigned from due to illness.

-- =

Then there was the Eskimo girl who spent the night with her boyfriend and next morning found she was six months pregnant.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Ah, I thought we were talking about neutral failure in the whole house.

Well I guess with this case, it would be better just not to have the chassis connected to anything. Which means you don't have earthed metal stuff all over the house anyway to connect you to ground. Think of a shock received in the kitchen when you touch live with your hand and have your knee on the earthed washing machine. If the washing machine wasn't earthed, you'd get no shock.

AC allows you to let go of things.

Why the f*ck would you wire one up backwards?

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Wrong.

Wrong.

Reply to
hqhy

That is much less likely to happen than neutral failure with a single device.

Yes, that's why the entire world moved to double insulated.

So your original proposal of connecting the neutral to the body was stupid and the regs got it right.

Not when you grip something like that it doesn't.

Plenty of them come like that with the multiple socket power points having easy one wired the opposite to the other, active and neutral wise.

Reply to
Jim Thomas

That isn't the case with the two PIR sensors being discussed.

That was the ear to ear dog shit becoming visible.

Bet that was due to ear to ear dog shit too.

Reply to
Jim Thomas

I'm right, if you think I'm not, prove it. A sensor needs power to activate the relay. It cannot have this until its source circuit is made live, and you switched that off. All the other sensor can do is connect live to the output of the relay contact of the first sensor. This will not power up the first sensor so its relay remains open.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265