Two lamps, one plug

Hi,

Is there any way of wiring two table lamps together so that they can share a common plug/switch?

The lights will always be on together so makes sense to join them :)

Cheers, Matt

Reply to
RatRibs73

You can; but IMHO since additional devices like table lamps are considered to be modular, it's best for each to have its own 75p plug fused at 1Amp, and both would share a wall socket via a 2- or 3-way adaptor.

Reply to
Jim Gregory

Cut the molded plugs off, and wire both into your own self fit plug.

This is probably outlawed by 2 Jags, and will get the sparkies up in arms with pages of stuff about the fact you will die if you do it.

But hey many people do this sort of thing.

I am NOT recommending that you do this, just explaining how it can be done.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

I did consider wiring into one plug but considered it a bit dodgy.

I reckon there must be an accepted way of doing it. Just thinking about these tall floor standing lamps you can get from IKEA, some of those have 3 bulbs so they must be connected in some way. Could I use some sort of a connector between a lamp switch and the two lamps?

Reply to
RatRibs73

My Dad used to be obsessed with doing this. Really annoying as whenever you wanted to move something like a radio from one room to another you'd find that it had a lamp or something attached to it!

The other thing he used to do was drill holes in shelves and things, take the plug off an appliance, push the flex through the hole and re-attach the plug. You came to move something and found that you had to take the plug off!

Reply to
Richard Conway

Could you not just use a two way extension lead?

Reply to
Richard Conway

Providing you fuse it for the lower capacity flex, what's the problem?

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

Want to X10 it so I can dim them both together....

Reply to
RatRibs73

That's what I'm asking - how to do it!

What fuse rating would you use and how would you join together?

Reply to
RatRibs73

So having the washing machine and tv wired to the same plug is a bad idea? Damn.

Reply to
RatRibs73

Would still work

Reply to
Richard Conway

Its usually a mechanical problem.. you need to ensure the cord grip holds both of them securely which isn't always that easy.

Just pop into poundland and buy a two way adapter.

Reply to
dennis

If the flexes are the same size or close, just put both in one plug. Ensure the cordgrip grips both securely. End of problem. Perfectly safe.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Would it? Brill, I'll give that a go. Cheers!

Reply to
RatRibs73

On 28 Feb 2006 04:38:04 -0800 someone who may be "RatRibs73" wrote this:-

Use a two-way adapter/socket, so you can separate them easily. there used to be (and probably still are) small multi-way adapters that take much smaller plugs. Although intended for audio use these might be suitable for your table lamps.

Reply to
David Hansen

How about one of these four flex plugs made for the job?

dennis

A couple of zip ties would sort that out.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Would what?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

A 3A fuse, as before. Twist the wires together, then wire as normal. Make sure the cord grip grips both wires.

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

high priced and incompatible though

NT