two gang simmer switch one dim one switch-only sought

I have a two gang brass rotary dimmer switch in the living room, one circuit operates four wall mounted lights, the other operates a central ceiling rose.
I only ever have the ceiling rose on full, usually when reading, and would like to put an energy saving lamp in the fitting for this. Whereas the wall mounted lights are often dimmed for watching TV, so in reality I'm stuck with ordinary lamps for these.
So, I'm trying to find a two gang dimmer switch that has a switch-only option on it. In the early days of dimmer switches, I remember they had a switch-only output as well as dim output, but I haven't seen this on modern models. They all seem to only have live-in and dim-out. Does anyone still do one with a switch-only output? Ideally in brass?
Ian

circuit
wall
modern
still
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp ;jsessionidX2TEF2IVQI3CJO2C3CJ0Q?tsx613&idq187 is that what you want ??

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 23:28:57 -0000, "Ian"

What you need is a grid switch with a dimmer module and a standard switch module with brass plate. As it happens I have just sutch a combination of switch components ordered for a job but never used, I can sort you out with them if you like. One thing to bear in mind, depending how fussy over the little things you are, most dimmers come with white knobs on. I go for the brass knobbed harder to get hold of type. As a pointer look in this section,
http://tinyurl.com/2ds2n
You'll need a 2 gang frame, dimmer module, switch module and brass plate, (which they don't appear to do). Happy hunting!
SJW A.C.S. Ltd.
Ian wrote:

Not going to be cheap - but I would expect you will have to go for a brass faceplate that takes modular inserts. Typically a single faceplate will take two modules - so you could have a 250W dimmer module and a SP switch module side by side.
http://custom1.farnell.com/cpc/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CPC+Catalogue&category%5Fname=&product%5Fid &1607
or shorter version:-
http://tinyurl.com/2nlz4
--
Cheers,

John.

Oh yes, when installing dimmer switches check the depth of the mounting box, some dimmers vary greatly in depth. If you're changing a to a dimmer from a normal plate switch the chances are it will be on a 16mm box which will be too shallow. Some switches will be fitted to 25mm boxes which will suffice in some instances. Most will require a 35mm, possibly a 47mm in extreme cases, box.
SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

TLC sell a switch only which you could replace one of your existing dimmers with - they are usually just held onto the plate with a nut, once you've removed the knob. Or you could remove the dimmer guts from one of yours, and use that switch, although terminals might be a problem, depending on design.
VL SM at 3.50 + vat
www.tlc-direct.co.uk
--
*A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door.

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 23:28:57 -0000, "Ian"

Have a look at today's other thread on getting dimmers for 250w and 400w
I posted a solution for how to do this using MK Grid stuff.
They do Grid versions of all of their metal ranges. You can get dimmers and plain switches in white or black plastic and with or without brass tops.
If you only need a 250W dimmer and a switch, the plate is the same size as a single plate switch.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl