twinslot shelving

Hello,

This morning I wanted to put up some twin slot shelving. I thought it won't take me long with my sds drill.

I was very unlucky. All the holes I drilled, seemed to go into the mortar between the bricks, and what should have been 7mm holes ended up big enough to put a finger into!

I moved the support slightly to the side and drilled them all again and this time I was very relieved when red brick dust came out everywhere. I have had to polyfilla my other set of holes and will have to paint over them, which creates another job!

Is it just a matter of luck drilling in the right place or is there a technique I am not familiar with?

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

Luck...

Though with some modern soft bricks, I have been grateful to hit the mortar as it was stronger!

Reply to
Tim Watts

Your technique's not the worst - I usually hit the edge or corner of a brick. Favourite seems to be, with a 2-hole fixing, that the lower, locating and lightly loaded screw goes into brick and the upper screw... you've guessed it!

Reply to
PeterC

Drill hole. Squidge in some pollyfiller. Push the wallplug in but do not insert screw.

Allow pollyfiller to harden fully before screwing up.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Stephen scribbled

Make some 'wedges' out of wood offcuts with a chistel and whack them in with a hammer. That's how it was done before the arrival of rawlplugs.

Reply to
Jonno

Assuming the wall is rendered and you can't see the mortar joints, drill a pilot hole to find brick then measure down in 65mm increments.

Reply to
David Lang