Twinkling Lights

Early I know, but I thought I would buy some new Xmas lights whilst there was plenty of choice:

400 Multi Function Multi Coloured LED Lights.

Like previous sets I have had, the wall wart has a pushbutton to cycle through the various flashing modes, but I usually stick to a restrained "steady".

I gave them a quick test, set them to steady, and all was well. I tried them again later, only to find that the operating mode had reset, and they flashed wildly. Further testing shows that any interruption above a few seconds (ie time for the internal capacitors to discharge) has this effect.

I can't believe this is an intentional design change, but am waiting a response to my query from B&Q. There could be some frenetically flashing lights around the country.

The annoying thing is that I don't really want the flashing capability. Looking on line non-flashing are available, usually as plug-together sets, but seem to be to a better standard, and thus significantly more expensive.

Do I hear voices saying take an angle grinder to the wall wart, and link out the flasher? I guess that, as it is no doubt an electronic "transformer", everything is crammed on one board, not really made for modification.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I got caught by this last year when I bought some new LED lights for the tree in the garden. Not only do mine revert to random flashing everytime they are switched on but the control box is at the end of the feed lead which is outside on the tree!!!

What idiot designed that I wonder?

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

Flashing enables a lower power wall wart, as not all the lights will ever be on together. The steady mode may actually also be flashing, but at too high a frequency to see it. If you link out the flasher in this case, you may overload the wall wart.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Reminds me of some GE lights we bought last year - they're supposed to be always on, but have a flash that's just perceptible to me (and my brother- in-law as it turned out). My wife and kids can't see it, the lucky sods.

I'm not sure if it's at line frequency (60Hz over here) or not - it's one of those "corner of your eye" things.

I think I know which box they're in down in the basement - I might accidentally lose them before xmas... :-)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson