Twin & Earth Black/Red > Blue/Brown transition

Can anybody explain why it took (IIRC) about 30 years for the "standard" colours for fixed wiring to be harmonised with those for flexible wiring.

Why did this not happen a long time ago?

David

Reply to
Vortex

Because it is & was absolutely unnecessary. There is some sense in unifying colours for portable equipment across Europe etc., but none whatsoever for fixed wiring. It's only being done now as a sly way to help enforce the new building regs stuff. The changes they are also bringing in for 3-phase are truly insane and will almost certainly kill someone eventually.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

I suspect that the pressure for the change most probably came from the cable makers so they can sell one product across Europe.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Europe etc., but none

will almost certainly kill

Don't forget that apparently "the industry" is welcoming the colour change because it helps colour blind electricians. I read an article about this in some IEE mag a couple of months ago and this was the main reason they mentioned. They completely forgot to mention the "sly enforcement" part of it.

Stock up on those traditional red/black T&E reels now!

Regards, Simon.

Reply to
Simon Stroud

I've just connected up the electric supply to my new bathroom cabinet, and the cable colours on the cabinet were blue, black and green/yellow It is obviously not UK origin, but was supplied by my bathroom company. Are they allowed to do that?. Much more chance for getting things wrong there.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

If you read any of the trade press, you will find electricians think it's stupid beyond belief, and down right dangerous. I've not seen a single "welcoming" comment about it. A colleague visiting a large company found notices in all the wiring closets forbidding the use of the new wiring colours anywhere on the premises.

That's an interesting conspiracy theory, but I doubt that really has any basis.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The common colour 'blindness' is red/green. Which was a problem with old flex, but not with cable.

I welcome the standardisation. Might be a pity about the new 3 phase colours - I wouldn't really know.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I can't see why you should have to stock up on the old colours. The new harmonised colours are available now and I have already started to use them. When part P comes in whose to say that any work was not done prior to part P using the harmonised colours?

Reply to
legin

DIY wise, if someone can't convert to the new colours for domestic purposes and feels the need to stick with the old, I'd question their competence to touch electricity.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Quite, I couldn't buy old colours the other week. If "they" wanted to make the cable colours an indication (an only that) of when the work was done they would have make the use of new illegal before a date and the use of old illegal after that date. Enforcement and stock control nightmare, mind you since when has that stopped the pen pushers...?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yes. EU harmonisation laws insist that a product meeting one countries rules can be sold in another - with a few exceptions that I'm sure everybody will now point out.

Reply to
G&M