TV Watchdog (OT)

I watached this today - apart from wondering what Anne Robinson has done to her jaw (are her teeth wired together?), I find that Matt Allwright a really annoying twerp whenever I see him. He over-acts and had googly eyes.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

For some time now it has sounded like Anne Robinson has been training as a vent act, maybe he is her new puppet? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Is it so the pollyfilla doesn't crack off?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I imagine Botox and surgery have removed any stretch that was left in her facial skin. Fortunately, I don't think she ever laughs, or her face might shatter.

Reply to
Bob Henson

She wasn't known for laughing before getting the cliff richard look. At least it's not just poor UK surgeons. Barry Manilow. I rest my case.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

ARW

I watched about 10 minutes of it on 'money saving tips' where they went to the local butcher where prices were at least twice as high as the supermarket and purchased the cheapest meat they had. They then went next door to the local greengrocer and advised on the purchase of vegetables that looked to be around 4 weeks beyond their best (dried and shrivelled carrots and green veg turning brown).

A similar type program last year on the discount supermarkets used someone with the an 'average family shop' of two bottles of champagne and out of season strawberries each week.

I do wonder if some of these TV presenters actually know themselves the price of a pint of milk or loaf of bread?

Reply to
alan_m

I have no idea how much a pint of milk or a loaf of bread is.

Reply to
ARW

A TV presenter is merely a form of actor. Would you expect an actor playing Einstein to understand the theory of relativity?

Different if the presenter is also an expert in the field they present, though. But an expert may not be good at appearing on TV.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Me neither - they come as part of a home delivery order.

I do occasionally cross compare prices, but then I tend to stick with that brand for 6 months before looking again.

Reply to
Tim Watts

There's an easy answer - there is no one price for either. With milk it depends where you buy it.

In a supermarket like Tesco, a single pint might cost about 50p. Four pints about a quid, so less than half the price of one. And different yet again in a corner shop or delivered by a milkman.

Highest price I've seen is 1.50 a pint in a small convenience store located in a station.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

# are strawberries "out of season" anymore :-)

tim

Reply to
tim.....

At a reasonable price - yes.

Reply to
alan_m

But you are not presenting a TV program advising how to save money on a £150/week grocery shopping bill.

BTW, I pay 25p/pint for skimmed milk and between 55p and a 95p for a loaf of bread - the former bread I only regard fit for toasting or feeding to ducks.

Reply to
alan_m

You mean that Eddie Redmayne and Benedict Cumberbatch can't break codes or understand the universe? Dash it all, that's spoiled it for me.

Reply to
polygonum

Only £1.69 a punnet in Lidl...

It is lack of any appeal (no smell, looking slightly under-ripe, and being from countries which were not traditional strawberry growers) that puts me off. The price, while relatively high, would not be a complete bar for a special occasion.

Reply to
polygonum

helps me not!

I am constantly amazed at the high price of all fruit (except, for some odd reason, bananas) in all shops, including the discounters.

Even apples seem to cost, like 40p each - unless you buy them in a mega large bag that's got so many in half would go off before I can eat them.

If they can be sold at 10p each in a big bag, why can't they be 10p (OK 15p) each sold singly?

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Bananas seem to be one of the few such things in supermarkets sold by weight. Can't really see why apples ain't the same. But you would need to wash them before eating. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Please don't give bread to ducks. It's bad for them.

Google if you want to see more...

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

Bananas are cheap because the supermarkets had a price-war involving them; google will tell you more including eg the attempts of FairTrade to get more money to the growers.

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts