TV Watchdog (OT)

Jeremy Nicoll - news posts wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@wingsandbeaks.org.uk.invalid:

I absolutely agree - it should be made common knowledge. I get annoyed with people turning up to our park on a Sat urday and Sunday with not just a few slices - but complete loaves of bread. Of course as soon as they have gone another person turns up to do the same. The rats enjoy it thoug. The ducks are too lethargic to fly.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

But ducks seem to like them too. Surely they should know what is good for them?

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

Yep, Also, when soaked in antifreeze cats will eat it.

Reply to
alan_m

I very much doubt it. Cats seem to me to have a pretty accurate sens of smell.

Have you tried this experiment? Or do you normally soak your old bread in anti-freeze? Does it taste good?

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

Nothing like some tasteless fruit for a special occasion :-)

Reply to
stuart noble

1) You should *not* be feeding bread to ducks. It's not that good for them. Try grain instead. 2) You should not be buying bread, you can make it in a breadmaker quite easily and at a lower cost. And it tastes much better too.
Reply to
Tim Streater

Never tried it but ethylene glycol tastes sweet apparently (hence its use many years ago to add "body" to cheap wine). Cats are regularly poisoned with it.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Oh, they give breadmakers away for free do they?

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Dont need a bread maker. all you need is a bowl and a flat surface

Maybe a kenwood chef..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And Robert Downey jnr doesn't have an Iron Man suit....

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Or you could make it yourself without a breadmaker. Easy to do, doesn't take long, and the end result is MUCH better. But we did this fairly recently...

Reply to
Adrian

you really think that an hour of my time is worth 50P.

Of all the stupid things I could diy! This is the least cost effective!

tim

Reply to
tim.....

D. £1.90 at our village baker, but I can just remember the cost being 6¾p

Reply to
charles

no. more like 5p....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I was referring to the saving that I would make for my effort

tim

Reply to
tim.....

In message , Tim Streater writes

I tried this at our village lake (well fed ducks).

Made up a mix of stuff that we thought they would like something out off. It was very funny. They came scurrying across the lake, and then went after the food, then sort of stopped and gave a double take and looked at us as if to say, are you taking the piss :-) They weren't impressed :-)

Yes, I know it's not supposed to be good for them, but it doesn't seem to be doing the duck population any harm and they must get so many people coming up and feeding them bread anyway what we do makes bugger all difference (and it's something we on;ly do occasionally anyway)

Reply to
Chris French

Our village Tesco express seem to have them for about the same price as they sell English ones in the summer (but of course imported from somewhere warmer).

Of course they have crap taste and texture normally. However, UK strawberry season has really been stretched now, they continue way into the Autumn. A mixture of varieties and under cover growing etc. I guess

Reply to
Chris French

In message , Phil L writes

Not strictly relevant but the current bulk milk price paid to the dairy farmer is 20p/L......

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I just want them to eat MY bread. I hate it when someone is already there feeding them. :)

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Maybe you'll enjoy making the bread, in which case it will save you spending money on entertainment. Wouldn't work for me mind :-)

Reply to
stuart noble