TV VCR Freeview DVD

I have spent ages looking at stuff on the 'net since your post, and "I are confused". The more I look, the worse it gets.

Anyway. A chap at work suggested I need 3 scart sockets - would the above be possible to wire together? This is quite important, as if I buy a lot of kit & can't wire it up, well, you know.

The PVR thing I can certainly see the point of.

The JVC DR-MV1S DVD Recorder/VCR is apparently *loved* by some, and absolutely *loathed* by others. Opinion in various reviews is very mixed.

The TV seems to have useful features - if I went up to (say) £250, I can't see much better (but I'm not really sure what I'm looking at, technically!).

Have you (or anyone else!) got any recommendations for other kit also at the lower end of the cost scale? Should I just buy the above and see how well it works? I ought to get at least a TV ASAP, as the Young Master visits frequently, and is asking when I am going to get one!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Can anyone tell me whether I can hook the PVR & VCR/DVD onto a Philips 28PW6518, which has two scart sockets, one of which is RGB, whatever that means?

If anyone's got a comment on the TV (Philips 28PW6518) I'd welcome hearing it!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

The short answer is "Yes". The longer answer is that RGB will give you superior image quality over s-video and composite (in that order). Since you only have 1 RGB scart (the Goodmans set has none, by the way), you'll need to choose which unit to connect to it (I'd choose the PVR). You'll have to tell the PVR to output RGB, or it will probably default to composite. And you'll have to select the TV's RGB input too! Otherwise it will work, but it'll be using composite and you won't get the benefit.

I'd have suggested connecting the VCR/DVD using the s-video input, but this set doesn't have one (the Goodmans did!). So you'll be obliged to use the composite scart for that (or a scart switcher, I suppose). I suppose it's possible the other scart will do s-video, but I couldn't find that out.

Probably a better picture than the Goodmans. Limited connectivity (but arguably slightly better than the Goodmans).

Reply to
Pyriform