TV sound d/a conversion

My Panny TV does allow some level adjustment of the digital output. Just not enough.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Some sets have a totally independant control of the headphone volume setting. Makes sense if you have a deaf member of the family who finds things better with headphones, while the rest use the speakers.

But can be difficult to find out from the specs the shops publish.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Does it? I haven't found a digital IO tweak on my Panasonic. Down which maze of twisty little passages all alike is it hidden?

I have a feeling it is a limitation of running off a 5v USB supply and using cheap low distortion opamps that won't swing rail to rail.

Reply to
Martin Brown

My set is a couple of years old. I'll get the model number if you wish. The setting is in the sound section of the menu. I have the internal speakers turned off. It might be the digital output level setting only 'lights up' in that mode.

As I said, it could be more a function of UK TV not peaking to 0dBFS. Other countries (where such things are made) may well do.

Many radio stations via my TV do pretty well match the output of other sources to my amp. Only really TV that's low. And even more so on some of the repeat channels I'm 'forced' to watch, not being a 'Strictly bake off celebrity - get me out of here' fan.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

One of the reasons why I chose the DAC I mentioned in my post yesterday as it has an independant headphone output with volume control. If you didn't see it here is an extract:

Some years ago when I got a Samsung monitor TV I was going to get that Lindy DAC but realised that I'd also find use for one that also allowed digital audio via USB and a headphone output with volume control so looked at the more expensive Lindy one:

However I found that Maplin did the same product without the Lindy branding at a lower price - they still do it (although the price is quite a bit more than I paid):

Alan

Reply to
Alan Dawes

En el artículo , tony sayer escribió:

I think we've moved on somewhat from live chassis connected to one side of the mains :)

agreed

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

In article , Mike Tomlinson scribeth thus

No its not that time when it was!, there are varieties of SMPS and the like powering TV's these days and the "chassis" well what their is of it are generally un-earthed. Ever seen a TV recently with a 3 core mains lead?..

Reply to
tony sayer

You can access the chassis ground on most modern TVs via a signal ground. It would be very stupid to ground a TV chassis just for the sake of it. Just asking for a ground loop somewhere.

BTW, in the days of live chassis TVs, the speaker output might well be isolated, as it was via an output transformer. Being usually valve.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

En el artículo , tony sayer escribió:

:)

Yes. Floating earths, and chassis lifted to a nice tingle by the class X caps in the PSU. Niiiice.

My brand new 55" LG TV has one, with the 3-pin cloverleaf (C5/C6) connector.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Be interesting connecting that to the outside world...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Mine is a TX47LW50B or something like that - hard to read peering over and down the back. No obvious "speakers off" setting just 0 volume.

There is a total volume adjust but it appears to do nothing to the digital output only tweaks the in set speaker volume maximum.

Inflict "Robot Wars" on them!

Reply to
Martin Brown