TV radio and internet advertising......

Is it just me or were we able to tolerate a small amount of advertising in the past but now the quantity is unacceptible .....I personaly turn the tv and radio down when ads come on and use ad blockers on the internet......I used to wonder why if I searched for a type of car on the internet adverts on youtube etc were targeted to me....sick of it all thank god for the BBC. ......

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

+1 for the Beeb.
Reply to
Bod

Apart from their own adverts, which run on and on!

Reply to
Broadback

but will companies still be able to survive and flog their stuff if everybody had adblockers, internet radio and android tv boxes ?

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

I agree.

I personaly turn the tv

I personally turn the tv > and radio down when ads come on and use ad blockers on the internet......I > used to wonder why if I searched for a type of car on the internet adverts > on youtube etc were targeted to me....sick of it all thank god for the BBC. > ...... > > I pretty much record anything I want to watch, then I can zap through the adverts.

Reply to
David Lang
[22 lines snipped]

This.

Reply to
Huge

Advertising is a cancer. Once it gets established it takes over and eventually destroys the host. Television used to be to "Entertain, Inform and Educate", now it's just an advertising platform with the programmes as a necessary but irritating cost. The internet used to be about sharing information and knowledge, now almost every website is trying to monetize its visitors with increasingly obnoxious 3rd party adverts. Even sites that have solid revenue streams have bought in to the scam, similar to how you still get (more and more) adverts on subscription TV. Why wouldn't they though - it's free money!

Of course advertising pays for a lot of good things. Google earth/streetview is amazing, and couldn't possibly exist without the $billions of ad revenue they get. The problem is the greed and deception of the advertising agencies They've got to have more and more, and it becomes a race to the bottom. The losers are both the consumers and the generally honest companies paying for advertising. Is some teenage prat on youtube really giving your company a good return on your advertising budget? "Of course" say the brokers, Look at the missions of subscribers they have. In reality, precisely 0.0% of those subscribers are likely to do anything to give you a return on that investment, but if the $million you paid only represents 1% of your advertising budget, and that's only 1% of your profits, it makes sense to "embrace the new media".

One day the whole scam might finally fall apart and internet and TV content will be decimated. Hopefully whatever's left will have more value than the steaming pile of click-bait we have now.

Sorry for the babble. Bad cold and too many lemsips. Safer than trying to write code.

Reply to
Ian

When was the last time you saw an advert for Wellington boots?

Yet Wellington boots are still for sale, and Wellington boot makers are still in business.

Your view poiint is extraordinary. Almost as extraordinary as the two teenage girls at a UKIP meeting saying that 'if we left Europe (Sic! Not the EU, Europe) we 'wouldn't be able to buy stuff'.

The problem is not the manufacturers or the customers, the problem is that you might have to pay to watch TV. And polit9icvains and the news media (so called) might actually have to deliver more than carefully crafted propaganda.

I thought you were old enough to remember the world before MSM and the wall to wall propaganda that created the 'snowflake' generation.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I spend an hour a week stripping adverts from recorded material before putting it on the house video server.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It would be much more difficult and it would cost more, so, perhaps they were right. I had to pay (in Euros) for my sat nav subscription . This was 2 days after the Brexit vote and it cost me a lot more than it would have done at the start of that week.

Reply to
charles

Apart from when the News contains a 'story' that is a very thinly disguised trailer for one of their programmes.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Too many lemsips doesn't make a person babble, however too many will kill. Not that you would notice for a few days. It really is a case of RTFI and make sure you do as it says.

Reply to
dennis

The commercial channels are allowed more advert time now, and do not have to have equal length breaks or equal length parts between ads, targetting them more toward the good bits in a program. As for internet, the fight back against ad blockers is in progress. many sites will now not let you view them unless you turn off your ad blocker. There are too many ads on web sites, and in my case I want the right to chuck them out as a perfectly accessible web site can be made totally unusable to a blind person by inappropriate ad content like animations, graphis and dynamic content. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

In my case, unless its changed due to me using the word blind and it turning up in web sites, I constantly got Venetian blind roller blind etc, adverts. So much for machine intelligence. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

And you thought 'golden rain' was a sort of firework...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The sleep deprivation does, and can make death look attractive. (Yes, I have RTFI, and know not to even look at a packet of paracetamol while taking them...)

Reply to
Ian

and don't I know it !...pathetic the amount.....

I just turn off their site......

very true ....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Seems to be because so many these days expect things for free. Music and films being the obvious example. Without realising someone somewhere has 'paid' to make them. And can only make more by recovering those costs.

So all that happens is the way you pay for them in the end is hidden in some way.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Also set the steps to 1 min. forward, 15 sec. back.

Reply to
PeterC