TV problem

Page 4 of 4

Can't we all agree on this:
NTSC and PAL were originally systems to encode colour information in analogue video systems. Incidentally, PAL (Phase Alternate Line) was better, as it reverses the direction of the chroma signal every line. If the chroma adjustment is out, the colour divergence is opposite on every line, which cancels out, unless you press your face against the screen. This is why NTSC sets often has a colour adjustment knob, as it is far more critical to get the decoding right. Anyway, I digress.
As systems spread through the world, basically it divided into two main camps. Firstly the 625 line PAL 50Hz camp and the 525line NTSC 60Hz camp (with the addition of France, the Russians and satellites who pretended to use SECAM). It mostly followed the mains frequencies used in the various countries. However, PAL and NTSC aren't limited to the normally used framerates and resolutions. It is possible to have PAL at 60Hz with 525 lines. It is possible to have NTSC at 50Hz. Some countries had unusual systems. Few agreed where the sound carrier would go.
In any case, now in the digital age, PAL and NTSC have actually mutated to just become shorthand for a particular set of framerates and resolutions that were commonly used with the old analogue systems and no longer have anything to do with the encoding or colour system at all. At least, unless you are talking about analogue composite video signals.
I suspect the transformation occured because some ignorant people thought that NTSC/PAL referred to the resolutions typically used, rather than the colour encoding system. Their original proper meanings are actually more akin to the "MPEG" encoding part than the resolutions or framerates stated.
Christian.

I'm happy with that.
We have to put up with enough crap from the likes of Dixon's salesmen without having it on here as well.
--
*Remember not to forget that which you do not need to know.*

message

Lol. Never neglect the obvious.
I went to a computer fair yesterday for a scanner. I came back with a DVD player (like you do) of the type that plugs into TV's. I had assumed I could plug it into the PC as it had a monitor connection outlet. Needless to say I have no speakers for it. I spent the rest of the day gnashing my teeth. I could have got a surround sound set for 15 to 20. Now it's going to cost double that or wait for the next fair.
(I just thought you all might like to know.)

Dunno about computer DVDs, but most computer CD decks have an analogue output for the audio, and usually supply a lead, although the plug wouldn't fit a TV.
--
*If I throw a stick, will you leave?

Mike wrote:

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 21:45:11 -0000, "Mike"

My trusty Toshiba did that a few years ago, hoiked it along to the repair shop and it was basically a load of dry joints on the PSU and flyback transformer.... -- cheers,
witchy/binarydinosaurs
As a vaguely related point, the Savacentre in Merton have got DVD recorders for 225 quids. Will also play pretty well any CD sized format. And use ordinary DVD-R or RW.
--
*Taxation WITH representation ain't much fun, either.

You can get a DVD+-RW for a computer and a TV-in/out card for just over half that. Most DVD players play DVD-+RW discs now anyways. Ask on uk.adverts.computer.
Marcus

Not a lot of use if you wish to record in RGB off Freeview or satellite. Or indeed just watch a DVD on the TV, rather than computer. I'm intending using it to replace a VHS, and it has all the same (or better) timer facilities.
--
*(on a baby-size shirt) "Party -- my crib -- two a.m

Thought that's what the TV card was for?
Marcus
On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 21:45:11 -0000, Mike wrote:

Probably frame rate. If I play region 2 DVDs, I get 25 fps and all is well, region 1 DVDs play at 30 fps and still display fine on my tv, but not if the signal is passing through the video recorder first. The video seems to sync. to the signal fairly well, giving a passable quality, steady picture, but it loses the colour. As the picture quality is a bit down, I assume that the synchronisation is not good enough and the colour's being lost.
This is all guesswork though, I don't have very much knowledge of the detailed operations of tv signals.
    Steve W

Have you tried disconnecting it from the mains for a few minutes?