TV problem

Page 1 of 4
I have a 28" Bush TV which has stopped working after being disconnected from the mains for about 30secs. Now there is just a continuous clicking but no picture. Has anyone any idea whether this sounds serious? Also any ideas why my DVD player will only play in black and white on my older spare set ?
many thanks
PS I know I should be on some TV repair newsgroup but I'm sure someone here will be able to help! -- Mike

Many non-compatible TV sets will only display in B&W but I think there might be a couple of work-arounds...
How many scart sockets does it have - if two, try the other one, usually only one is fully wired per uk.media.dvd :-p
Failing that, has the DVD player got any output options - try changing the signal out, and see if that helps (ie. composite or whatever)

RGB or Composite would be hard pushed to give a B&W picture but S-Video can do it.
"Chris Oates" wrote in message

Why would 'Composite' (CVBS) be hard pushed to give a B&W picture?
--
Andy

by design it can - but by accident S-Video does it better
On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 10:23:18 -0000, "Andy Wade"
It wouldn't be hard pushed at all, but I'm not "knowledgeable" here, it's just that I've witnessed it manage it, without it so much as breaking into a sweat, with my own eyes!
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

A colour composite signal consists of luminance, syncs and colour burst.
If you remove the colour burst, you get B&W. This is effectively what the Y (luminance) signal of S-Video is - luminance and syncs.
--
*A closed mouth gathers no feet.

only bought the player from a computer show last week I had not studied the setup page. Now set vid o/p to RGB (was S-video) set to PAL and pic mode to Auto and guess what .....colour appeared !! These are not original discs I'm trying but the player seems to play anything I have. It's a 'Digital i' if anyone else has heard of it - 49.99 seemed a bargain.
What exactly is 5.1 sound? the speaker sets from the same stall were about 70 surely they are available cheaper? someone above mentioned 15. thanks, Mike

5.1 is where you have 5 speakers and a sub
Two behind you, left and right Two in fornt of you, again left and right One in the middle in front of you - This is the center speaker used mainy for dialogue and the .1 is the sub woofer - this can be anywhere, as frequencies this low are onmi-directional (your ears cant tell where they are comming from!)
6.1 Has another center speaker behind you 7.1 has the same as 5.1, but also another two, left and right beside you, 8.1 has the lot!

I know cos my Freeview box S-Video output appears as B&W via my Hauppauge T.V. card in my PC, I have to use Composite Video or RGB to see colour. I've got an Abit 5.1 system which is very nice & supplies suround sound - got it from www.scan.co.uk here http://tinyurl.com/sm46
Mike wrote:

Not playing a region 1 DVD by any chance? If you play a NTSC encoded signal into a non compatible TV you will often get this problem.
--
Cheers,

John.

Is the DVD output (check menu) set to S-Video rather than composite? S-Video into a composite only SCART will give monochrome.
--
*My designated driver drove me to drink

DVD.
4. You are trying to play an NTSC DVD (Region 1) on a TV that doesn't support NTSC
Sparks...

Don't think there's any such thing as an NTSC or PAL DVD.
--
*Dance like nobody's watching.

Oh yes there is.....
London SW 12

Please explain?
--
*(over a sketch of the titanic) "The boat sank - get over it

Region 1 (USA) DVDs are NTSC Region 2 (UK) DVDs are PAL Dunno about the other 4 regions
Sone DVD players convert NTSC discs as PAL output signal, others do not. If the TV doesn't support NTSC (many older ones don't) then the result is a black & white picture.
London SW 12

(Re-formatted so it's possible to *actually* follow the thread)

No they're not

Neither are these.

Well, there's SECAM etc...

I'm not talking about the players, but the discs.

HTSC and PAL only refer to composite analogue signals in this context.
DVD makers incorporate a regional coding in the discs to stop (mainly) US material being played in the UK etc. It's got nothing to do with NTSC and PAL, as the DVD system is digital and doesn't use them.
--
*Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Sorry but this is incorrect, the information on the DVD is digital, yes, but when it is fed into a TV it is analogue.
DVD's can be PAL or NTSC (And maybe other formats too)
There is a fundamental difference in the video signals
Video is made up by showing a series of still images at a certain speed..
PAL is made up of 25 frames, or images per second, with 525 scan lines NTSC is made up of 30 frames, or images per second, with 625 scan lines The DVD has to be either one or the other!
If a TV cant synchronise to this faster frame rate, it seems to show 25 of the 30 frames per second in black and white
Also, as PAL is only 525 lines, I am guessing the colour information is cropped off the top (or bottom), as NTSC has an extra 100 lines of information in every frame.
http://www.horrordvds.com/extras/articles/palntsc / http://www.ihffilm.com/ihf/videostandard.html
Agreed.

US
and