TV over the internet

Apologies for asking again a question I posed a short while ago, but it anyone actually accessing BBC over the net when outside the UK? If so, I'd like to hear of your experience.

I was recommended to try ViperVPN, but the UK branch of this doesn't seem to be functioning any more?

Also, I'm wondering if anyone is watching TV over the internet on a smart TV attached directly to a router. (I have a Linksys WRT54GL router running dd-wrt.)

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

If its for personal use, and you have broadband with enough uplink throughput, have you considered setting up your own?

VPN to your home machine and then surf away.

(slingbox might be another alternative)

Have set one up for someone... not much too it really.

Reply to
John Rumm

I don't know how pro-active the BBC (or it's CDN) is on enforcing the "UK only" limitations, but it strikes me that any VPN service is liable to discovery and having its access blocked.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yes, friend out in Bulgaria though he'd found the ideal VPN to hide himself away from a dodgy torrent tracker site. That euphoria only lasted all of two days...

Reply to
Adrian C

I HAVE watched TV over the internet being received on one machine with a TV card and then re-exported to another machine using I think VLC.

If you have a fixed IP address I may be able to arrange a UK based high bandwidth web proxy ...but I will not open it up to abuse ... beyond specific IP addresses.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not if its your own machine and is only used occasionally.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher