TV not working

Hi, my 76 yr old mother has become bedridden so I thought that I would move her big tv from the living room to the bedroom for her. After connecting it to a socket & plugging in a set top aerial when I switch on all I get is a small squeaking sound & one of the led's on the front of the set blinks faintly, nothing else. It is a Beko superflat model about 3 yrs old. Have I damaged something moving the set or does anyone know what the problem could be.

Andy.

Reply to
Andrew Morrison

Sounds like you probably killed something in the TV. It may well have been dying anyway. If it was me, I'd open it up and look for cracked solder-joints on things. The squeaking (probably not from speaker) is the power supply trying to startup and not quite making it.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Sounds like a change od temperature between rooms has caused the dew protection. It will take a a few hours or more for the condensation inside to dry out before it will work.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur

In message , Andrew Morrison writes

Is it something silly, like it needs setting up again after having been unplugged?

Reply to
raden

Sounds like the power supply tripping out - possibly caused by dampness.

Reply to
Farmer Giles

message

Cheers guys, I'll wait a while & try again. Keeping my fingers crossed it is moisture.

Andy.

Reply to
Andrew Morrison

Sounds like the 'power board', in most cases its not worth repairing as the repair costs more than a replacement set.

Reply to
Volund

First step should be to see if it still works downstairs.

Reply to
dp

It's the psu tripping, you've disturbed a dry joint somewhere just carrying it upstairs. If she always had it on standbye before, it may be capacitors in the psu dried out, and failing to start, but my guess with a Beko would be a dry. Get it repaired by a TV engineer, rather than a newsgroup.

jim.

Reply to
jim.

message

Good theory, but the OP is talking about a TV not a VCR

Reply to
jim.

Yes, this is the most likely as the OP is trying to make life better for the woman, not give her lung disease.

The larger sets these days are heavy and too flexible for the mounts. The screen and the board separates -and may damage some part as well. Taking it to a small shop will get it looked at and a possible px arranged in the worst case. Sometimes these small places will have parts and can do the repair.

I bought one such and damaged it struggling up the stairs to my flat. I took it back and told the man the truth* and he repaired it and brought it back and set it up for 10 or 20 quid. - I can't remember the sum.

I'm still using it years later.

*My driving style in those days left something to be desired, somewhat.
Reply to
Michael Mcneil

Can TV's be operated under water?...

Arthur