TV licence

I read in the latest Which magazine that a home TV licence covers the owners to use a portable to receive live broadcasts anywhere as long as the TV is powered by internal batteries.

This got me thinking, what about all the caravaners? Their TVs are mostly powered by external batteries or even mains when hooked up on site. Should they have two licences?

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Who knows. I'm thinking that maybe as they are transient, the site should have as many of them as they have plots and sub devide the costs to each person staying there.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Not according to the Camping and Caravan Club. The TV Licensing site is silent on the matter of touring caravans, although it does say that a home TV licence covers static caravans used as second homes if the TV is never used at both sites at the same time.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Stupid inane rule, but AFAIK you are right.

I have wondered if you put your 12v TV in a 3 sided box with some batteries are they still considered to be internal? If not, what if you built the TV yourself, surely only you would be the arbiter of what constitutes the case?

Of course, you wouldn't be able to legally charge the batteries while the set was working because the battery wouldn't be the sole source of power. I'm sure there are other anomalies.

Reply to
Graham.

there used to be a ruling that if the whole household left to go in a caravan or to a holiday cottage, the household licence would cover you. but if you left someone at home, then the caravan would need its own licence.

Reply to
charles

charles explained :

So what would be the chances of them simultaneously catching you running a TV away from home and at home :D

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Obvious way round is to watch catch-up things only. Assuming sufficient bandwidth to the caravan...

Reply to
polygonum

Zero. You don't actually believe that detector vans detect do you? ;-)

Reply to
Tim+

Surely one of the benefits of staying in a caravan is to get away from the TV...

Reply to
Frank Erskine

On Friday 31 May 2013 18:58 Nightjar wrote in uk.d-i-y:

We never used to worry when we had a 12V TV (powered by the caravan battery). It was then (1980s) reckoned that a home license covered such things.

Reply to
Tim Watts

In the 1950's through maybe to the 1960's they did. Now they rely on knocking on the door and hoping to catch a glimpse of you watching TV, as their is no line scan frequency leaked by a modern TV.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

In article , Harry Bloomfield writes

AFIAA they have never been used to provide evidence to obtain a warrant to search for receiving apparatus. The few non co-operating prosecutions have followed 'flickering light' evidence based warrants.

Reply to
fred

Frank Erskine brought next idea :

You might well think so, but it is a concession for SWMBO to be able to watch her soaps or it is a no go :D

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Just for the hell of it :-)

Do EU rules cover the use of TVs by visitors from abroad in camper vans and caravans?

Equally does a UK licence cover you for t'Continent?

And what about Switzerland?

[Consider both terrestrial and satellite.]

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

Could be interesting. InFrance (and I suppose in UK) Liddle sell a 'flickering multi coloured light' as a security item John

Reply to
mully

We don't get away from TV when we use the van. We don't have a TV at home either.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

In message , Muddymike writes

No

Reply to
bert

I've neither a TV nor a caravan. Nor would I thank you for either. If exceptionally there's "TV" programme that may be worth viewing there's usually a way of seeing it later on the interwebs.

The vast majority of TV programmes (even News ones) are dumbed down for the masses.

And as for caravanners.... (D&RFC)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Is the correct answer!

If you've got a paper licence, rather than one downloaded, the conditions are printed on the back. One of the categories covered is:

The licence allows installation and use of TV equipment:

  • In a vehicle, boat or caravan by: You and anyone who normally lives with you at the licensed place (so long as TV equipment is not being used in a non-touring caravan and at the licensed place at the same time)

So you and other family members *can* use TVs in a touring caravan *and* at home at the same time without requiring an additional licence - but not in a static caravan.

Reply to
Roger Mills

There are one or, two documentarys interviewing the early operators of such detection vans. They said there was nothing in the back apart from benches to carry the door knockers.

Reply to
RayL12