TV Licence

Indeed. Mind you it would probably be cheaper to pay several years worth of TV licence fees than to set up that facility!

Richard.

Richard Russell

information. Presumably should TVLA decide that they wish to use evidence from a detector van in court, they could then reveal details of its workings, calibration certificates etc. So (as a non-expert) I don't see that not revealing that information beforehand means a case couldn't be brought.

Richard.

Richard Russell

waste of time and effort. Rather like the 7/6d 'wireless' licence my dad used to buy at the Post Office back in the 1930s and 40s.

If in UK I would probably forget about TV and get my video news via the internet, all kinds of stuff available in various degrees of quality, as I do now. Al Jazeera, Russia TV in English, in addition to the BBC, the many US networks etc. etc.

However 'BBC World News' available as one channel of the approx. 60+ channels on our local analog cable sytem, is excellent content and quality. That 'basic' cable TV costs about $1 per channel per month. Most of them being 'cra*' and not worth viewing. But the channels available come in packages and in order to get the History, Discovery, BBC and others one has to take them.

Alternatives (competition) here are two satellite (digital) systems and also in certain areas so far, digital TV via the telephone company along with their offering of the internet. So a fair number of choices.

The only 'from air' TV in this neck of the woods, most easterly Canada, are a couple of analog TV channels, the CBC and one private network. Stil have the TV antenna in the attic, but don't now use it. This is understandable because the total population of this area some

1200 miles from Toronto etc. is less than a quarter million persons with a total population in this province, with an area that of England plus Wales, of just over half a million!
Reply to
terry

Hmm, considering that my entire career was spent working for the BBC (more than 32 years) and that my occupational pension comes, indirectly, from the licence fee I'm not likely to agree with that! I wonder how different the TV industry (world wide) might be now if it wasn't for the technological innovation of BBC engineers over the past

60 years or so. I think you'll find that very few commercial TV stations (funded by advertising) have significant technical R&D budgets.

I was interested to see, in next week's Radio Times, a nice picture of ITN's 'green screen' virtual news studio (pages 6 & 7 for those who get RT). If you look very carefully, you can see some of the bar- coded circular targets in the studio ceiling used for the virtual studio wizardry. That system (it's called Free-D) was invented and developed by the BBC!

Richard.

Richard Russell

With Wogan winding down and Jonathon Ross leaving the BBC., the pressure to hunt down every last license fee evader will be diminished.

mark

Reply to
mark

It's the principle, why fund the BBC when you can watch ITV for free and with the spare cash have enough money to rule the world.

Reply to
Mike

Part of the TV licence fee does go to central funds (i.e. OFCOM) to pay for spectrum management which of course includes the BBC and 'other' users (either analogue or digital), including the "radio" spectrum.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

The message from terry contains these words:

Bearing in mind the ethnic origin of most of the population of Newfoundland, shouldn't you be measuring that in comparison to Ireland? :-)

Reply to
Appin

You need a TV license to watch ITV. The BBC come free as part of the deal. ;-)

Reply to
dennis

Its making less sense as time goes on certainly... I suspect its days are numbered. Presumably it will becomes just another government service funded from general taxation in the end (at least until someone privatises it!)

That is now becoming a viable option, and its one of the things that is making the traditional arrangements look archaic.

What are your commercial services like for advert frequency? Something that has always astounded me about many US channels is how anyone can watch a program when they break for ads *so* often!

Reply to
John Rumm

When we're in the US, most of our TV viewing is done via TIVO - so we can easily skip over the ads.

Reply to
S Viemeister

And if the BBC ceased to be funded by a cut of any TV licence money then you can be sure all the money would go to the mother of all central funds - The Tax Pit erm sorry UK Guvmint...

Reply to
Neil

IIRC, there was a legal case where some of the TV networks were attempting to stop TIVO from allowing this... ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "ARWadsworth" saying something like:

A Russian bloke in a Transit - a defector van?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

They don't (yet) appear to have succeeded!

Reply to
S Viemeister

Australian TIVO boxes will reputedly allow you to fast forward ads but not skip them

Tony Bryer

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Richard Russell saying something like:

Hmmm... I suspect that all you've been spouting about the TV detector vans is utter bullshit.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

If you believe that, you're a poor judge of character.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard Russell

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Richard Russell saying something like:

You've already admitted you have a vested interest and so far I've seen nothing to support your assertions about these wondrous vehicles.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I have no problem believing that TV detection equipment exists. I do have difficulty believing it takes a van load of gear to do it though! Hand held apparatus perhaps.

Reply to
John Rumm