TV: Grand Designs - tree house

Ben Law is not the average man. He is not a loner in a wood whose only available income was the wood itself. He is heavily into permaculture and has written a book on it and one on this house - he went to Albania for Oxfam teaching the locals. Go Amazon and search on Ben Law. Also do a Google search and more comes up. He had access to knowledgeable people on planning, design, craft skills, etc.

That is not disparaging to Ben, and he is a light and gives hope to all. Alas the draconian planning system stands in the way of advancement for all. - and his house was advanced being fully off the grid with all mod-cons.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

It wasn't mentioned in the update, although left in the repeated bit.

Reply to
Huge

I would doubt that it will ever be demolished, as they stated, it is an architectural wonder, and, at worst will end up in a folk museum.

The simple fact that it has been extended with little problem means the planners love it and that's everything.

Reply to
EricP

He has nothing concrete to say it will remain.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Has anyone got a link so I can see what all the fuss is about ?

TIA :-)

Reply to
Colin Wilson

do a Google on Ben Law.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

He seemed prepared to grind away at the planners for as many years as was required to get it built in the first place, so I am sure if he carries on he can get the restrictions lifted in time. One thing most bureaucrats can't handle is dogged persistence!

(having a dependant son could also now make a difference)

Reply to
John Rumm

They can. They have a system that favours them and second, they just ignore it.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The four words in the subject of this thread gets it at the top of the list using Google.

Reply to
John Cartmell

It migth be taken down and transported to Singleton Open-Air Museum - where many 'rescued' buildings are reconstructed. [Don't know how _they'll_ relocate the mud walls - but they'll think of something] Given the builders age and mine: I'll not see it at Singleton; but perhaps my grandkid's might. :)

Reply to
Brian Sharrock