TV Arm on plasterboard wall - holes there now.

that you can't subsequently remove and replace the bolt without the toggle disappearing inside the cavity

Reply to
Roger Mills

I hope I never have to be in your place, toggles can't hold much at all. The correct solution has already been given.. fill behind the board and use screws long enough to reach the solid stuff behind.

Reply to
dennis

None of those are quite the same.

Yes, it's worth remembering that any fixing to plasterboard is only as strong as the plasterboard itself, and as its attachment to the studding.

Reply to
Roger Mills

There's no "correct" solution, headmaster. You use whatever the situation requires.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

There are several correct solutions and lots of incorrect ones, using toggles is not in the correct solution camp, none that rely on the plaster board for strength are. Plaster board is not a structural material for anything much heavier than a clock.

Reply to
dennis

Even that would depend upon the type of clock.

Reply to
Clot

favourite is these;
had a set of them with a fixing tool last week for a tenner.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Don't disagree with him, he'll have a conniption fit & start becoming abusive.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

3/8" toggle over 100 lbs"

A tv arm may well merit stud fixing because of the in/out stress on the fixing. Sheer strength would be ok I'm sure

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Try it. I expect that if he puts 50lb on his TV arm the board will just break. If it doesn't break it is only held on by dabs and they don't have much tensile strength and the board will part from the wall.

The mechanical advantage of some arms I have seen is about 8:1.

Reply to
dennis

Come on guys, did he not say a 15" LCD, not a 32" CRT ;)

Quite often for a small bracket you can catch one stud but not tother...

Therefore...a decent toggle which becomes part of the board is not a bad idea.

Bear in mind there are not the usual rubbish toggles, use them and you will get the idea, perfect for most things apart from Tanks of course!

Roger, Screwfix used to do boxes of 50 for around =A312-=A316, they don't seem to stock them anymore.

B & Q did do packs of 2 complete with machine screw for stupid money, usual with them though.

There are some UK sellers on eBay I think, however here is a site with the boxes of 50

Gogs

Do you not find they can turn in the board, especially if have to take something off the wall a few times?

I tried a few in the past and some seemed to go like that, that's why stuck with the snaptoggles, mind I'm not in the trade so to speak

Reply to
Gogs

So how would you explain me using the decent snaptoggles for a range of things and nothing has ever came off the wall?

Reply to
Gogs

Reply to
Roger Mills

The toggles aren't the problem, they can easily break the board.

The problem is the lack of strength in plasterboard.

Add the fact that the bottom of the bracket will be pushing the board into the wall and the top pulling it out with a large mechanical advantage and the problems multiply.

Reply to
dennis

Luck, probably.

Reply to
dennis

Not found that. I do use the setting tool though. They have little spikes to stop them turning anywho.

The Medway Handyman

Luck in 3 different properties over a number of years.....luck?

Remember I'm not talking 42" Plasma...but then again I'm not talking clock.

The fixing is a strong as the PB if not stronger, since it becomes part of the PB, some toggles may be rubbish but you can put up heavier items than a clock with the ones in question with absolutely no worries

Reply to
Gogs