tv ariel

That side rejection referred to rejection of signals coming in from the side like distant interfering transmitters or strong reflected (ghost) signals...

Reply to
tony sayer

Usually in Digital reception they add together which is one of the good things about digital transmission...

May not be necessary unless you have a very wide band of frequencies to deal with. I bet the "loft" has a load of chicken type wire therein?...

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net scribeth thus

Indeed!, Mr Wright Yorkshires finest rigger has summatt to mutter about that too;!....

tony sayer

Nah. The aerial is under the tiled pseudo extension the bloody planners made me put in..

straight through the tiles sideways to sudbury..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Where did you get all these "ghosts" you referred to earlier?..

Reply to
tony sayer

OK, so log is still an option.

I'd love to have something in the loft, but at 43km (Oxford - Sandy is the same distance but there's a bloody gert railway embankment 100m away in that direction) and pointing through the gable wall...

Reply to
PeterC

In laws setup. somewhere else.

If you mean multipath

I suffer from other stations presumably sur le continent.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Indeed. My STB picture quality runs in sympathy with the wind gusting. At a wind/tree null point, the picture locks and blocks up like Sinclair Spectrum graphics. On analogue there's no noticeable change in picture quality.

Reply to
john

In article , snipped-for-privacy@jjdesigns.fsnet.co.uk scribeth thus

Thats more than likely the weaker digital signals suffering attenuation..

Reply to
tony sayer

If I lived where you do I'd have gone Freesat years ago;!..

Like we have here and fine it is too:)..

Reply to
tony sayer

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember PeterC saying something like:

I recently mounted an old 90cm sq MMDS dish in my attic space, pointing to a tx ~30 miles away. At the focal point is a looped dipole with a

300/75ohm matcher off the back of an old portable. It works bloody well too, inside a lined roof, with digital signals coming in very cleanly and strong. This is the kind of thing...
Grimly Curmudgeon

through the roof? Mine would have to be straight through the gable wall - cavity wall+rock wool.

Reply to
PeterC

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember PeterC saying something like:

Ah well. Possibly too much thickness. The roof here is a layer of asbestos tiles and an inner lining of cementitious fibreboard. All at

45deg, so effectively thicker than it seems.

Otoh...

At first floor level, I find that a set top aerial is useable indoors (same tx) inside 10" of solid block (rear wall), but an extra 5" of block and re-inforcing rods (internal dividing wall) renders it all but useless.

If you could lay hands on a dish (doesn't have to be MMDS, an old 90cm sat dish will do) and give it a go for next to no cost.

My reasoning was that the extra gain of the dish will compensate for the attenuation and so it's proven to be, at least on the roof structure.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Good tip, thanks. I'll see if I can find something - when I get a tuit! (with the switchover next year it seems like ages yet).

Reply to
PeterC