TV Aerial - what type ... any experts out there

Hi,

Are these type of aerials any good at getting a Freeview signal through trees or is that a no-no?

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C
[Unix]

They have a good anti-ghost performance, but usually, trees will decimate reception with any aerial. I would try a BB Grid array, but don't expect reliable results whatever.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article , Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) writes

Why would you recommend that type Andy?.....

Reply to
tony sayer

"BB" Grid Arrays filter out Big Brother?

Reply to
xenelk

Because there are four active elements wired so that out of phase (ghosty) signals will cancel, but in phase signals will add. It also has a wide beamwidth which can help.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article , Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) writes

Yes, but the path length of the reflected signal can be any number of wavelength's long so I don't see quite how that's going to work. This can come in at anywhere in a phase relationship with the wanted signal.

If its a wide beamwidth array then how can that be after all what is required more then anything where ghosting is a problem is wanted/unwanted discrimination, and the less beamwidth the better is the case.

What an array of dipoles is good for is wideband response commensurate with gain. I take it your referring to a panel arrangement with the four di-poles on a grid rather like the panel type sometimes used in transmission?.

Reply to
tony sayer