TV Aerial - what type ... any experts out there

No stonking big building in the way?...

Reply to
tony sayer

They're the only branded type that TLC sell. I'm always suspicious of no brand things like this - means the seller can change suppliers without saying for any reason.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I can see Crystal Palace from the top of the house, and without an outside aerial a TV still works, after a fashion. But not equally well on all channels, and has some multi-path.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I said "NO LONGER stock", not "wouldn't consider stocking in the first place!".

Antiference is the culprit. Since Meridian took them over, I have grown increasingly disillusioned with them.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

Yes, it's interesting to note that the XG range all sport baluns. :-)

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

We like the Triax range and the Televes for more difficult areas. We are just evaluating Fraccaro, but no conclusions as yet.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

Interesting to note that was much the same feeling that was arrived at by a number of the regulars over on uk.tech.digital-tv

Reply to
John Rumm

You may know the asnwer to this then....

Do Triax follow the convention of using coloured end plugs on their aerial booms to indicate what group they are?

(I installed a monster Triax Unix 100 a while ago which I ordered as group A. However I am not convinced the CPC did not ship a wideband by mistake. Alas there were no markings on the box)

Reply to
John Rumm

Televes is a well known brand, albeit not as well known as Antiference, but we know the story there.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Sorry, I meant the other aerials TLC sell. Televes are a decent make IMHO.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've got a Triax Unix 1000 CD/W, and to say it's a big bugger is an understatement.

Works well though (except maybe down at ch.21 for c4)

Reply to
xenelk

I have a Unix 100. It is labelled group CD/W. Basically, their wideband version is truly wideband, but gives best gain in the C + D channel groups.

Was there not even a marking anywhere on the aerial? Failing that, are the elements all spaced equidistant from each other? Or do they get closer the nearer you get to the dipole?

Reply to
xenelk

No markings that I could find... I have a feeling it may have been a model that had been returned, and then sent out again since there was no paperwork of any kind in the box, and the mounting bracket was missing.

The elements do get closer as you reach the back of the aerial. This coupled with the fact that it can will pull in muxes well out of the group A frequency range, led me to suspect that it was a wideband. If Triax also use coloured end plugs to indicate type, then my one being black would also indicate wideband.

I am in two minds as to what to do with it. I get all analogue channels reasonably well, and all digital muxes except for mux A (i.e. the one with CH 5 and QVC on it). I am not too fussed about Mux A since I can live without QVC, however reception on the ITV muxes is a little poor. I also seem to get some of my muxes from bluebell hill rather than from my main Tx which is crystal palace (the aerial must have a side lobe that points in just the right direction since bluebell is 80 degrees off beam!).

If I change it for a group A, my crystal palace reception should improve

- however I do not know if it will be enough to get all the muxes that way. There is also the likelyhood that I would cease to receive the out of band muxes from bluebell hill. I really need a spectrum analyser to see exactly what is going on first.

Reply to
John Rumm

Anywhere I can get these on line, or by mail order over the phone ?

Now going to follow advise and get a group A

Reply to
Rick Hughes

2 miles with some hills in the way ... but get reasonable reception on a portable with simple portable loop aerial.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Hughes

TLC have Televes. I believe that CPC and others have Triax.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I don't think that you're going to have a big problem, Rick.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

The answer seems to be to get a Group A with a balun to ensure line matching rather thane a Wideband.

I had a wander around google ... and found a firm (Brymar) selling Aerials on line, they have a number of Triax units, but they are recommending using a 10 element Wolsey QR10 aerial.

Anybody got any comments on Wolsey ? never heard of them myself, but then I had only really heard of Antiference previously.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Hughes

You could try Solutions Group, although theoretically they are a trade-only supplier.

Reply to
xenelk

Stop messing about in Hyperspace and just put your hand in your pocket for a Unix 52. If you like, I will sell you one, but then you may not want to pay our prices. :-)

Inc courier delivery, I will supply one at £38 inclusive, call me on 01452

311031 if you would like one. That represents a considerable discount over our normal retail.