TV aerial system

Hi again everyone

Just wanted to ask for a reality check here. Planning to install:

masthead amp 40dB gain 0.8dB noise (FTE maximal)

2 way splitter 4dB loss used as a combiner (Televes) (combine amplified ae signal with locally generated signal) 6 way splitter 10dB loss (Televes) (for distribution) CAI approved cable

As you can guess, signal is weak. If there are better specced bits to use I'm all ears.

cheers, NT

Reply to
meow2222

forgot to mention prices: amp: 25.99

2 way: 3.99 6 way: 7.99
Reply to
meow2222

On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 11:14:20 -0800 (PST) someone who may be snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote this:-

Before doing anything with television aerials I would study and see if it has any useful information on the particular circumstances. It is the most imformative site I have found so far.

Reply to
David Hansen

I would post this to uk.tech.digital-tv where some knowledgable aerial guys hang out.

Reply to
AnthonyL

FAR too much gain, even allowing for the fact you're splitting after the preamp. Use a standard high-gain type masthead with around 26-27 dB gain for your application.

Reply to
Andy Wade

I would suspect that 40dB gain figure. It would amplify an unusable

100microvolt signal to an overloading 10mV signal Somewhere nearer 26dB would be more realistic unless it is followed by a lot of passive splitting and/or an extremely lossy feeder run.
Reply to
<me9

What is the 'locally generated' signal? Is it RF2 from your sky box?

Reply to
The Wanderer
  1. The Wanderer

more or less - its digital tv modulated to analogue rf, which is what will be distribbed.

David Hansen:

  1. Andy Wade snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote:

There's a 24dB amp there now, and its inadequate signal strength. Whats there is good, no ghosting etc, but signal strength isn't enough. Will be adding a 6 way splitter (10dB) and a 2 way combiner (4dB), which will knock that +40 back down to +26. Need to change the amp anyway, so will go for a much lower noise one. Its also adjustable to iirc 26/33/40dB in case the gain's ever too high.

Re inadequate signal level, the plan is to replace the ae with a high gain one too, but later. Only so much can be done in one time.

thanks everyone,

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I'm no expert, and I don't pretend to understand gain and dB etc, but if the signal is that weak, why start with amplification? Surely the real problem is the source of the signal, so a more sensitive / better aerial would be the place to start. Once that is maximised, then tune the amplification to get the best out of it?

Matt

Reply to
matthew.larkin

Include the cable losses in your calculations - you can assume about 0.2 dB per metre at the upper end of the UHF band for decent '100' size cable. Then work out the net /overall/ gain between the antenna and the TV tuner. With typical preamp and tuner noise figures there will be almost no advantage to be had by increasing this overall gain beyond around 12 to 15 dB. By this point the overall system noise figure will be determined almost entirely by the preamp, so more gain simply will not help - in fact it will make matters worse by reducing the overall dynamic range, increasing the risk of overload/crossmod/intermod problems.

Remember that the sensitivity of the receiving system is ultimately set by the 'figure-of-merit' G/T, i.e. the ratio of antenna gain (G) to overall system equivalent noise temperature (T). T is the sum of the antenna noise temperature (Tant) and the receiver noise temperature (Trx). Tant you can do little about, Trx you've reduced to a practical minimum, so the only thing left is to increase G, which means getting more metal in the sky...

BTW be wary about variable or switchable gain preamps: some of them (not all) have some of the gain control implemented by input attenuation, which of course completely buggers the noise figure when you drop the gain. "Inter-stage gain control" is the buzzphrase required to avoid this.

As I said, more G :-)

Reply to
Andy Wade

Andy Wade wrote:

Well, yes... but one thing at a time. The distribution system needs replacing first, and that makes amp replacement necessary for practical reasons. So that'll get done first. Then the aerial can go.

I'll look into the variable gain question, thanks. The cable attenuation is not something I can do much about, all the CAI cables are specced about the same. Its only going to drop a few dB, or double that with the locally generated signal.

The main improvement expected from a new amp would be in noise figure. Not only is it better specced - depending on how gain adj is implemented - but it'll be at the aerial for another few dB improvement as well.

cheers,

NT

Reply to
meow2222

That was my point really, with the splitting losses you mentioned and only a few dB of cable attenuation I very much doubt that you'll need 40 dB gain in the preamp.

Of course...

... absolutely. Every dB of aerial gain is quite hard-won. Don't throw it away with cable loss ahead of the LNA.

Reply to
Andy Wade

just waiting for a reply from the mfr...

NT

Reply to
meow2222