TV Aerial & Birds

I get birds landing on my TV aerial and leaving crap below.

I noticed a house nearby that had what looked like long cable ties with the spare end poking upwards to deter birds from landing.

Can someone (Bill Wright) confirm that this will not cause any reduction in the TV signal as I am in a marginal area.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Use plastic ties, not metal. Also it helps to run a bead of thick grease along the top surface of the aerial boom. Another way is to run a length of fishing line from the top of the reflector to the end of the aerial, so it's slightly above the boom.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Bill Wright wrote in news:kkgt5n$gn8$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

Thanks Bill. I will get that done when I am able to get the aerial down.I like the fishing line idea, but I guess the cable ties moving in the wind are a good visual deterrant.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Might it be some of this that has been installed

works just fine on my satellite LNB arm (was able to buy just two strips from a local hardware store)

Reply to
news

In article , DerbyBorn scribeth thus

Umm .. No, they should be quite stiff not waving around, you want them to get a sore arse when they try to sit on them;!.

Use Black cable ties, if you use clear ones they'll fall to bits after a year or so especially if we have much of a Summer this year!.

Black ones resist the effects of UV light much better.

Also cut a point on them too, this isn't lets be nice to flying aerial vermin week;!).....

Reply to
tony sayer

£3.20 buys an awful lot of UV stable cable ties..
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

And dip the ends in poison while you're at it.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

In message , DerbyBorn writes

Some one, somewhere, recently posted the possible answer. Not my photo, but a good one all the same :-)

Reply to
Bill

Neighbour's aerial flips between horizontally polarised and vertically polarised, depending which side of it a pigeon last sat on.

I have put cable ties with sharpened end pointing up on my weather station. Couldn't use them on the anemometer though, which means I have on a couple of occasions seen a pigeon going round and round on it.

Wish I'd though of it when I put the aerial up.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I thought 0.5mm monofilament tied on was the cheapest choice for that.

Round here they tend to sit on the main axis rather than reflectors. Pigeons seem to prefer much jumping up and down on the mains feed cable from across the street. The cable visibly shifts around when they land.

Can't say as I am that bothered. Signal to noise does not seem to be affected by what Bell researchers Penzias and Wilson so coyly described as dielectric material (aka pigeon droppings). They help make the roof look less new without any of that faffing about with dung and yoghurt.

Reply to
Martin Brown