TV aerial?

Adrian put finger to keyboard:

There's no point chaining amps, you're taking a low-strength low-quality signal and amplifying it into a high-strength low-quality signal.

It's a bit like hoping to get a 15x digital zoom as good as a 15x optical zoom.

Reply to
Scion

What does digital UK suggest in terms of likely signal strength and quality?

Hmm. Using that info does not give me the results you are quoting :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

well that depends on who you are. It is actually totally trivial and costs pence.

But of course pence are pence, and you don't put things into STBS TVS and boosters that you dont need to - or didnb't need to.

indeed, and a bloody eyesore compared with a loft aerial.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Green for BBC A, D3&4, BBC B HD. 86/87 "served" for each. Yellow/Variable for SDN, ARQ A, ARQ B. 51-58 "served" for each.

Reply to
Adrian

which side of the river?

Reply to
charles

How much of a "bit" East? By my reckoning you should have a nearby Welsh DTV relay station practically sat on top of Hay on Wye at Clyro.

vs

Local topography can make a very big difference to which of your options actually work. My parents set in Manchester can (very annoyingly) see the Welsh channels from Moel y Parc in an antenna sidelobe 60 degrees off the main axis to Winterhill with enough signal to totally confuse Panasonic TVs now that the Welsh station is running on full power and using low band frequencies that are found first.

A default retune all fills up important mainstream stations with their Welsh version since the stupid Panasonic firmware puts the first found on the master location X and the second on 80X. I understand this very common problem is well known in Manchester telly menders circles.

Reply to
Martin Brown

North.

Reply to
Adrian

Not very far.

Ah. That's interesting.

Reply to
Adrian

That's because it can be used all over the world, and the UK options are only relevant, and therefore only become enabled, to someone who enters a UK location for the receiver. You could, of course, have read the instructions on the page to discover that for yourself. However, try this for Hay-On-Wye (used to love that area):

http://t>

Reply to
Java Jive

Unlike having a nuclear, or any other, power station between you and the transmitter, which would probably block the signal completely.

What a fatuously irrelevant th>

Reply to
Java Jive

Definitley high gain up a big pole needed

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Clyro only caries 3 muxes

The Natural Philosopher

That was after I entered the postcode.

Reply to
Adrian

Reply to
Java Jive

And what happens when you click the tinyurl I gave?

Reply to
Java Jive

Maybe, but it is close enough to him that a coathanger plugged into the aerial socket should be enough to get a signal of some sort.

Reply to
Martin Brown

With respect, that does not really tell you they are a pair of amps. Inline PSUs look pretty much the same as some amps, and the coax needs to loop through them so that they can feed power up it to a remote preamp nearer the aerial.

Can result from too much amplification, plus a number of other causes. I know you have tried one and then both, but have you tried just the second amp on its own?

Reply to
John Rumm

the aerial.

on its own?

Also don't forget to take the Belling plugs apart and check to see that there isn't a "whisker" of copper braid shorting things out. You wouldn't half kick yourself if you missed this common cause of a duff signal.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

One way to tell them apart is that an inline PSU will put some voltage onto the downlead which a cheap multimeter will be able to measure.

Isn't it annoying that these TV diagnostics are in terms of % using an arbitrary undocumented scale that is probably logarithmic. ADSL modems at least provide sensible units of dB signal to noise levels whereas TVs go out of their way not to provide meaningful information.

Or no amps at all - direct connection to the decoder. Modern digital decoders seem to be pretty good as far as sensitivity is concerned.

Coax cables are cheap.

Reply to
Martin Brown

How?..