Turps/White Spirit

What's the difference on a practical 'gloss painting' level between Turps Sub & White Spirit?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

White spirit evaporates, turps sub. leaves an oily residue.

Use white spirit for everything.

You can use turps sub. for most things, certainly for thinning paint. However you can't clean things with it as well. I can't think of anything that turps sub. will do, and that white spirit won't.

Incidentally, if you don't have one already, get yourself a "Brushmate" (and a clip to hold it upright in the van). I've just bought a couple more as Xmas grifts. Looks gimmicky, but it does really work. Crown decorator centres sell them.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Cheers for that. I wonder why its still on sale considering its dearer than white spirit?

I just buy the cheapo brushes & rollers from B&Q & bin them when done. More economical that wasting time cleaning them.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Turpentine is the resinous extract obtained from coniferous trees and mainly used as a thinner for synthetic paints, it also acts as a drier.

White spirit is used more as a cleanser.

ste

Reply to
ste

But a well used brush that has been well cared for is *much* nicer to paint with. At the very least it doesn't shed hairs at regular intervals.

Reply to
tinnews

And they have them on offer once or twice a year.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

Turps sub though, not turpentine

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Sorry, I misread the original post.

Turpentine substitute and White spirit are basically the same solvent which are derived from mineral origin, (petroleum distillate).

Turpentine or genuine turpentine are of course from vegetable origin, (coniferous trees).

ste

Reply to
ste

Basically yes, but they differ in detail. There is a spec for this, it is consistent, it is significant, it is different between the two of them.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Something I've often wondered (I do that) is how close US "Stoddard solvent" (their white spirit) is to ours. Stoddard solvent was developed to be a dry cleaning solvent (presumably no remaining smell) which isn't really true of our white spirit, to the level of wearing clothes that have been soaked in it.

Reply to
Andy Dingley