turntable abd pickup ?

Can anyone recommend a turntable and pickup of current manufacture and of reasonable quality ?

Jim Hawkins

Reply to
Jim Hawkins

The problem seems to be almost everything these days has a usb or some other data interface rather than good old analogue connections.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

They tend to be either USB junk - just for transferring to HD - or high end these days. I'd keep an eye out for decent secondhand stuff.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Jim, if you're interested in a secondhand unit you could do worse that look at the classified ads on the AV Forums site:

.

A search for "turntable" in the Home Cinema and Hi-Fi section throws up at least five examples within the last ten days or so, at widely varying prices. All are currently unsold.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Can you indicate your budget?

Project are a good brand of turntable.

essential-blk

might do what you want.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

Rega or Project and an Audio Technica cartridge.

You'd likely get good quality with an ebayed Technics direct drive for a fraction of the cost, however.

Reply to
RJH

Chris Bartram

I'd definitely go for old kit. There are many good decks about, and at leas t some good pickups. Shure did some nice ones, though a few lemons too. If its for dj use, Stanton was the usual choice, good but not brilliant, and i f you find one an old Thorens deck with pause makes life a bit easier.

I never liked Technics stuff that much. Decent enough, but not really audio phile.

If your budget's minimal, there's always Dual decks, preferably the wooden ones. Sit them on a few towels and you get quite a good result for peanuts.

NT

Reply to
meow2222