turf larvae

just laid a turf lawn and found a few larvae (larvi ?), looked like small maggots, in it's soil should I be worried about them damaging the lawn and is there anything I can put on a newly laid lawn to kill them, and any other nasties, off ?

thanks Les

Reply to
in2minds

There are probably thousands of utterly benign things that may leave 'maggots' in the soil. Unless you start to have problems, I'd ignore them totally.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

They're probably leatherjackets, the larvae of crane-flies (daddy long-legs). They eat the grass roots, leaving bare patches in the lawn. Try a Google search for a remedy.

Reply to
Aidan

thanks Aidan, that looks like the wee beastie...

Les

Reply to
in2minds