Turbo Gold V Reisser R2 Cutter Screw

Long been a fan of SF Turbo Gold screws but I much prefer TS these days.

Tried a box of these Reisser R2 Cutter Screw

they actually seem a bit better.

Anyone else tried them?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

> and they actually seem a bit better.

Have got several part-used boxes of Reisser screws or various sizes, ages and types in the shed. Good quality - and they used to be much more convenient for me to buy than Screwfix (until SF opened a nearby branch). Not sure if I have *exactly* the ones you link to.

Reply to
polygonum

I've been buying them for our resident handyman ( doing a lot of studwork) and he accepts them but prefers the Travis Perkins offering, I cannot remember that brand name.

He's far too posh to use screwfix stuff ;-)

AJH

Reply to
andrew

>> and they actually seem a bit better.

Yup, had a couple of boxes, and they seem very nice.

Reply to
John Rumm

> and they actually seem a bit better.

When I built the counter in our burger place, I used several boxes of them, and I thought they were excellent. I ran out of battery on the electric screwdy on one occasion, and continued to drive them in, by hand, with no pilot hole, and I was amazed at how easily they went in

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

I've used their similar 180mm screws, to tie structural timbers together, and excellent. For general timber work I'm still SF TG, and some Spax. Spax seem to have the upper hand in unbreakability.

Reply to
dom

I've used their similar 180mm screws, to tie structural timbers together, and excellent. For general timber work I'm still SF TG, and some Spax. Spax seem to have the upper hand in unbreakability.

hope they are better than standard gold screws ... keep snapping them in the '4' size.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

I don't use SF much these days, for two reasons: as an occasional DIYer I don't often need to buy £40 of stuff, so I do not qualify for their free delivery, whereas I can quite easily find £10 of stuff to buy from TS.

I have been disappointed by SF's customer service. There have been quite a few posts here about this recently, so it seems I am not the only one. As an example: I posted two returns back to them and they claimed that they had received neither, contrary to what the tracking information said, and it took quite some time before they gave me a refund.

I used to use SF's quicksilver screw, which IIRC they advertised as a general purpose screw. It is a double threaded screw. I have never quite understood the difference between single and double threaded screws. I believe double threads can be pulled out easier; is that because the threads are closer together? But they say a double thread drives in easier so perhaps it is all swings and roundabouts or perhaps I should buy single thread screws next time?

Anyhow, the quicksilver were ok for my modest uses, except when I used them near the end of a piece of wood, e.g. a floorboard, when the wood would split. I bought the reisser screws precisely because they said they did not split and that claim seems to be true in my experience so far. I haven't used large quantities and I still use the quicksilver for everything else, but so far I am a happy customer of the reisser.

I have never used turbo gold so can't say how they compare. In what way do you think reisser are better?

Reply to
Fred

Twin threads (which as the name suggests have a pair of interlaced threads cut in them at a steeper pitch) drive faster - i.e. they need half the number of turns to drive home compared to a single thread. However that comes at a price - it takes more torque to drive them. Also the amount of "pull" they can exert for a given torque is less. Hence they are well suited to power driving - they go in very quickly.

The TG/Reisser style ones are single thread with a modified tip to act as a self drilling pilot. Hence less splitting, lower torque, good pull in, but slower driving.

Reply to
John Rumm

>>> and they actually seem a bit better.

Only that they seem to drive a little faster.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman