Turbo Coach Screws-not.

If I'm going pilot-hole-less I'll use the thinnest screw I can. Less work and less splits.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I'm not sure if they are the same animal but I tend to use Wickes 'Easy Drive' screws. I've put 4" x 10 straight into softwood with no problem and no splitting at all. 1.5" x 8 go into anything with no splitting.

Are they the same as the Screwfix ones?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I use those 8mm coach screws as well in similar material. 8x100 and

8x120 in my case. Like you I haven't found pilot holes necessary, I'm using a Metabo 12v cordless to drive them which I chose specifically because it can deliver up to 50Nm of torque.
Reply to
tinnews

Hi,

Better to drill a pilot hole as any splitting can let in water and the decking rots from inside.

However few people know this, so you're OK using anything.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

What's your problem, Alex? Dave is a valued contributor here.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Try soaping the threads first. This usually reduces friction enough for them to drive straight in.. And use some welly on the screwdriver.

I've found nearly any screw can be whacked through almost anything given enough torque. The limiting factor is the screw shears or the cross head rips out. Or both..

If all else fails hammer them in and use a screwdriver on the last few turns.

Even on hardened oak its normally possible to not use a pilot hole.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher