Tung Oil - Where to buy it?

Hi can someone recommend to buy this from, looking around only found one place and that is =A360 (inc vat and del) for 5ltr.

Is it this expensive?

Looking to treat my shiplap shed and heard this is the best stuff to use.

Reply to
htmark98

Isn't this an american product?

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Fist hit on google revealed...

even cheaper sites if I looked.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

?cID=332&sID=60&view=searchSeems to be about the going rate

Reply to
SJP

Thanks everyone, looks like it then.

Why is this recommend for shiplap? if you vist diynot forums that's what everyone tells you to use.

Reply to
htmark98

I have just been looking at your profile (a new feature of Google Groups) You seem strikingly similar in technique and latent intelligence as IMM.

telling us who suggested tung oil to you how long you have been annoying him and why someone would go to diynot forums?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Who is IMM???

Yes i posted the link above but what has radiators got to do with tung oil?

I cannot remember the names, but theres a few people who have built they're own shed with shiplap, i have done this and treated it with clear perserative and it does not stand up that well. Little greenish marks and water seeping through tiny cracks etc.

And what does this mean? "Mind telling us who suggested tung oil to you how long you have been annoying him and why someone would go to diynot forums? "

Reply to
htmark98

It's a mystery - just don't get him started on combi boilers....

Reply to
Steve Walker

That's a little steep, but not hugely so. Most finishing oils are arounf £10/litre, dropping if you're buying 5 litre cans.

Far from the best, in my substantial experience. Tung oil is a great high-quality ingredient but it's not the easiest to work with on its own. It's also somewhat over-specified for outdoor sheddage - you can use cheaper oils, like linseed, as a base. Some other additives might improve UV stability too.

If I were using tung oil, particularly on rough-surfaced timber, then I'd thin it with some white spirit before applying. I'd probably go with either raw linseed or a danish oil (oil+varnish mix) rather than pure tung though. The Australian Organoil range has a good outdoor furniture oil.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

An idiot who posts to uk.d-i-y. He's obsessed with a few things, including combi boilers. Now he posts as Dr Drivel instead.

Weatherlawyer is not IMM, probably less of an idiot, but a whole lot more abrasive.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

FFS.

It's a shed. Give it a coat of creosote.

If you don't like the smell of creosote, give it a coat of borate fence preservative:

's cheap as chips and just about as useful.

The biggest problem is to stop the leaks which are either caused by shrinkage or by the wood bucking on expansion having swollen in the rain. Or as is most likely, by using timber that is rebated to small or by trying to streth the material out further.

In short, the lap has been shipped out badly.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer