Tumble Dryer venting

"soup" typed

They aren't, especially on a 'delicates' wash, which does not spin before rinsing. Then there are all those lovely 'perfumes' which certainly cling to the fabrics...

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

Did say I was led to beleive not that it is so.

Carbon monoxide will drown you but it is NOT poisonous, so is not noxious (FSVON).

CO will combine with the haemaglobin in the blood in preference to CO2 and not "let go" leaving the haemaglobin unable to carry Oxygen to the tissues no oxygen to tissues = death by drowning

Reply to
soup

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "soup" saying something like:

What a load of hairsplitting bollocks.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Hairsplitting quite possibly, but it is not bollocks, oversimplified possibly but not bollocks.

Reply to
soup

"soup" typed

iS THE WRONG ANSWER. CO is a cellular poison as well and *is* therefore noxious.

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

"soup" typed

It is bollocks for the reason I've just given...

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

No, it's utter bollocks. If you were talking about a non-toxic gas it would be true, but carbon monoxide *is* a poison - it disrupts the body's chemistry at a cellular level.

Reply to
Rob Morley

What he said. You "drown"/suffocate in a Carbon Dioxide atmosphere. There is a distinct difference between this and Carbon Monoxide deaths where (as the man says) the body chemistry is affected and this THEN causes death. It is a reversible poisoning but that doesn't mean it's not a poisoning.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

I must bow to superiour knowledge, I have always been told CO is not poisonous (obviously I have been misled) hence saying you could drown but you couldn't be poisoned (perhaps what was meant that relative to the amount of people who get poisoned you (TINY) are much more likely to be drowned by it, and I have only heard/remebered the it is not a poison bit?).

Reply to
soup

I suspect you're either getting confused between carbon monoxide (lighter than air, toxic) and carbon dioxide (heavier than air, non- toxic), or half-remembering the difference between town gas (contains carbon monoxide - can poison you but is lighter than air so will disperse more readily) and natural gas (basically non-toxic but heavier than air and can drown you).

Reply to
Rob Morley

Nah, I meant Carbon monoxide will drown (or is suffocate a better word) you, but apparently it poisons as well, what I did get wrong was stating as fact half remembered information..

Reply to
soup

Rob Morley typed

I doubt it. Many schoolkids know and disseminate the line that CO bonds strongly to haemoglobin. This is seen as reversible. (Glod save us from amateur scientists!) Knowledge of its action at cellular level needs a deeper knowledge of biochemistry etc. I think I was only thus enlightened relatively recently.

I was amused that your post was essentially so similar to mine; we must be singing from the same crib sheet ;-)

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

I think you think I'm more knowledgeable than I am - by cellular level I meant it reduces the ability of red blood cells to carry oxygen. I thought it was reversible. I am not, nor have I ever aspired to be, a biochemist - give me physics any day (but keep it simple) :-)

Reply to
Rob Morley