Tumble dryer on the blink ?

Anyone out there spent too much of their time diagnosing TD faults ?

My Creda condensing dryer failed to dry a load a week or so back. Reached the end of its cycle with damp cold clothes inside. When I span the dial round and pushed the start button, there was merely a faint whirring noise inside. I mentally diagnosed a broken belt and left for work.

Investigated availability of belts, and set aside a bit of time last weekend to get fettling. Switched the machine on, and of course it's now working fine. Run two loads through it, but the third is damp again. Now, the drum is spinning but there is no heat (on either setting). Hang washing out and do the surfing bit again for heater parts, while it starts raining.

Return to dryer armed with a full toolbox and remove top and back panels, exposing all the important bits. Get multimeter fired up and find no obvious problems. Switch machine on for a laugh, and it's working again. I threaten it with my club hammer. One of the elements looks a bit sick, though, and when I prod it gently its (paper) support splits through. Although it still works, I am minded to replace the element assembly in case this bit sags and starts shorting across the element below. However, I am loathe to do this in the short term in case the whole dryer is on the point of falling apart.

Do we have an expert in the house ? I can't see any real electronics in this dryer (it's about 8 years old) so there seems to be no "brain" to fail. I wonder if it has been overheating and causing either of the two overheat stats to trip ? Both are operative now, but I recall one failed completely within warranty and was replaced. One appears to be in circuit with the heating element, but the other is wired directly back to the front panel somehow.

Any ideas much appreciated. Especially in the monsoon season...

Reply to
lairdy

The message from snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com contains these words:

Have you found the reset button on the back? Most driers have one.

Reply to
Guy King

No sign of such a thing. As you'll see further down, the darned thing is (fingers crossed) working at present.

Reply to
lairdy

Hi,

Sounds like a loose connection to the element or intermittent element itself. Maybe the TD temp is controlled by an internal thermostat too.

If you can safely wire a neon indicator across the element it should tell whether it's one or the other.

Might as well carefully check all the connections, and the belt too for wear.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

The message from snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com contains these words:

It's usually under a small rubber bump or disc.

Reply to
Guy King