Tumble dryer conked out

No, not over and over again. I've certainly had to replace one which had gone "floppy" after repeated trips. People kept hanging towels to dry over the radiator - despite a sign telling them not to,

Reply to
charles

Ah, that explain it; thanks.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

charles presented the following explanation :

Why not over an over?

The same part with a slightly different delf resetting design, can be used as a preset temperature control for cooling or heating. I have several in power supplies, to turn cooling fans on which have run for many years, I have one in my car, which triggers the FBH to run when the ambient falls below 5C, some installed in fan heaters, to prevent them over heating if covered. All desigened for repetitive use, yet all I am suggesting is a rare manual reset of the device.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Well I don't much fancy having to take this thing to bits "over and over" again, thank you. So I've decided if I can't get a replacement timer I'll just short all the wires that go into the duff one together with silver foil. Then I'll bypass all the thermal cuts outs you describe so it doesn't matter if they trip out in future. I know you're probably thinking I'm some sort of idiot taking chances with safety, but we didn't have 'elf & safety when I was growing up and it didn't do me any harm. Having said that, and as a nod to safety however, I do plan to place a smoke alarm above the dryer and keep a fire extinguisher next to it once I've put it back together again.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom