Tumble drier condenser or vented ?

"> >Not on our old(*1) Hotpoint, the air is recycled(*2) and cold water

Are you not talking about a washer/dryer here ??

Well its not more effcient because it cannot remove 100% of the moisture from the heated air before blowing it back round the clothes in the drum, when it just bows it outside its all gone. Whenever another process is intoduced it reduces effciency. Peter

Reply to
Peter

Well, it duly arrived on Wednesday and so far I have been running it with the reservoir rather than plumbing it in but this will happen in due course.

First impressions: very impressed.

The performance is as expected - it just works. The timings in the user guide are quite accurate for a load straight from the washing machine. It dumps a lot of heat into the room but I am not aware of any water vapour escaping.

The filters are easy to get at and clean, and the water container is at the top of the machine, in the same place as you would find the powder drawer on a washing machine, so it's easy to remove and empty.

I have never had a tumble dryer before, only washer/dryers and it is easy to see why a dedicated machine is a big improvement.

We previously had washer/dryers becasue we hardly used the dryer at all - I suspect that now we have a tumble dryer it will get used a lot more...

Let me know if there is anything else I can add or expand on.

Reply to
Neil Jones

This is very useful, many thanks. Where did you buy it from?

Reply to
Grunff

John Lewis. I expect I could have got it cheaper on the internet but I was in the shop at the time, their staff are well trained and they deliver on Wednesdays to my area which is quite convenient.

Neil

Reply to
Neil Jones

Thanks for all the advice. Installed a Bosch condenser (6106) yesterday - excellent job, very pleased. No heat lost through a vent, warmed and scented the utility a bit. Really was plug and tumble. Thanks CB

Reply to
cb

Im an in-expet diy-er and I am hoping to place a dryer in an under the stairs cupboard (in the kitchen) where the gas metre and electric metre/fuse box are sited.

Is this likely to cause any major problems, with condensation what have you. I hope to place a condenser dryer but there is no plumbing in there, i didnt think any was needed.

Your opinions valued, thank you. M

Reply to
mswanson

I don't think it would function correctly. Condensers rely on ambient air for cooling the heat exchanger. Ambient air temperature needs to be reasonably low for this to happen - under ~30C. If you put your dryer in the cupboard under the siars, the air temperature in there will very quickly reach 50C or more, and the dryer will just stop working.

I don't think condensation would be a problem, our condenser doesn't output any significant amounts of water to the atmosphere.

Reply to
Grunff

I had a Bosch Condensor Dryer in a cupboard under the water tanks. Worked fine if I left the door open.

Also had it under a kitchen unit with 1-1.5 inches of gap around the sides

- more or less OK.

Now it's under the stairs (but not in a cupboard) and is still happy.

Mine does suck in through the front and exhaust out the back, so as long as a) the air in front is cool, and b) air from teh back can escape easily, it should be fine.

Most condensors have a water collection tank which you empty down a sink - but I'm aware of some that either require or have an option to be connected to a drain.

HTH

Tim

Reply to
Tim

It's more of a heat issue. If the space is well ventilated, then no problem.

Personally, I'd install an isolation switch outside of the cupboard, as if it goes Pete Tong, you can hit the button. If it is on fire, you won't be able to pull the circuit breaker.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle