Tubular bathroom towel radiator - defective?

Anyone know what temperature these tubular bathroom towel radiators are supposed to reach?

I just fitted one today, 700 Watt. It took a while to heat up, but is now way too hot to touch. The Maplins thermometer says it is 86C *. People could burn their hands putting towels on it. The thermostat on it doesn't seem to make any difference to the running temperature, it's 86C in the hottest or coolest setting (after allowing time for it to cool). I've a feeling the thermostat is actually broken. The thermostat dial also seems to turn too easily - like it is loose and not connected to anything inside.

According to the destruction manual that came with it, the radiator is filled with a mixture of water and glycol. What temperature would this boil at? The unit is sealed and I feel a bit nervous about the thing. If well covered with towels could it boil and explode? Surely not?

  • Note: The Maplins thermometer seems to underestimate temperatures of white and silver objects - the radiator is white, so 86C may be an underestimate. It is way too hot to touch though without risk of being burned.
Reply to
David in Normandy

That's the stuff they put in the radiators of Spitfires, and it'll go

*well* over 100 without any trouble, especially under pressure.

Unless there are any passing 109s of course...

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ