trying to id rainwater drain

Hi,

The down spout from the gutters empties into a drain? which is about 6" square by 2' deep. The bottom seems to be a flower-pot-like square about 6" by 6" by 6". There is a slit at the bottom of one wall of the pot thingy, 1" by 6". Don't know where this leads.

The light was going so I won't be able to explore more till tomorrow. House built 1950s.

Any ideas what this slit goes to?

Francis.

Reply to
Francis

The rainwater guttering may empty into a grumbler trap buried in the ground then away to a main sewerage system. It may also empty into a thing called a soakaway, which lets the water flow into a pipe buried in the ground and then literally leak into the surrounding soil.

Rainwater systems vary so much around country, and even across different areas, that it is difficult to say which type you have around your property. But I'm going to take a guess and say that the system has the configuration of a pipe from the roof gutter which exits out into a grille covered trap, which then empties into the same system as the soiled water from other appliances in your house.

The slit you see in the wall of the trap is only there to catch larger pieces of debris (sticks, leaves, stones) from going any further into the system, and that if you lift the grill and put your arm in, you'll be able to lift this section out for cleaning.

Reply to
BigWallop

configuration

PS. Heating on hold while I clear a seriously blocked drain for my Ma. "Yeah, I saw the bowl overflowing alright"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What an experience!

Have not found where the rainwater slit goes yet.

Your description seems to be spot on.

Got the other drain cleared. However after about 20' of a run from the downstairs toilet, there is a bend that goes down quite sharply and that is cracked and a piece is missing (" Like yourself, dear"). Clay pipe. Have to fix that.

Came across a thread that suggested using epoxy putty.

Have to suit up and get the shovel.

Francis.

Reply to
Francis

:-))

Good luck with it.

Reply to
BigWallop

The toilet drain is clear.

About 7 rods and a 4 inch disc went in. After two came out, the contents started to appear. 5 left!!!

"We can't stop now"

By the time they were all out the inspection thingy was full to overflowing. Eventually it flowed away.

Pumping station working overtime.

The rain drain is cleared out, about 1" of water in the bottom. Poured in a few bucketfuls of water that drained right away. Don't know where it is going to. Will check that out later.

Was hoping to get back to work on heating.

Got an overheat thermostat for bbu, so now have the option of going sealed with existing setup.

Have to research new boilers.

Overheat thermostat including delivery cost me half what it would have cost me over the counter here in Ireland.

Thinking seriously of going to UK to buy boiler.

Francis

Reply to
Francis

It's crazy ain't it ?

And I thought most of these companies were now based in Ireland.

Reply to
BigWallop