Trying to fit a Shower Screen over a bath.

Hi all,

I bought a B&Q Full Framed Bath Screen, which I think is their lowest priced one at £29.98.

I am ok with some diy jobs but trying to fit this has me in a right fix!

The instructions do not give measurements to work to, so it seems to be mark it by sight and try.

I could not get the bottom seal to fit over the frame, and warmed it in hot water to soften it and it collapsed and went out of shape.

B&Q do not sell spare parts for it but gave me the contact details for the maker of the screen maker who is: "Aqualux" who are kindly sending me a replacement seal.

Has anyone fitted one of these and can give me some tips please?

Or should I admit defeat and find a tradesman to fit it?

Reply to
Mick.

The biggest problem with these is when the wall and the bath are not precisely at 90 degrees to each other.

Reply to
GB

Most allow for this by the screen being slotted into a square 'U' shaped channel on the wall.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Does the screen fit into a channel - the channel being fixed to the wall?

Is it a hinged or folding screen?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Hi Dave, There are two hinges that are screwed to the wall, the screen is in one piece opening from the hinges.

The main problem is getting the sealing strip to fit over the edge of the screen, and getting the hinges screwed to the wall in the correct place no measurements are given so it can only be by offering the screen to the hinges and marking the positions.

But I seem to need 3 hands to be able to do that!

What would be the sort of charge to fit it if I can find someone local to me?

Many thanks, Mick.

Reply to
Mick.

In that case, as GB said, you might well have a problem if the wall/bath are out of square. You will also need some pretty strong fixings.

Silicone lubricant helps a lot with that, or furniture polish.

Make a template from card or scrap wood & use that to mark the wall.

I'd want £45/55 to do the job. Cheaper to take it back to B&Q, tell them its a pile of poo & upgrade to one of their 4 fold jobbies. They fit into a channel on the wall - dead easy & allows for 'out of square'.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Hi again Dave, Thank you for your help. I have also now found instead of a left and right hand wall bracket there are two left hand ones, so it will not fit anyhow!

Should they still take it back if I do not have the original packaging? It was dustbin day when I opened it and I binned it! I do have all the parts.

Mick.

Reply to
Mick.

They might try to wriggle, but IMO you are entitled to throw away packaging. If it didn't have incorrect bits you wouldn't need to take it back.

My SIL bought a bathroom suite from B&Q (against my advice). The cold basin tap dripped, so I removed it & she took it back. A B&Q droid tried to say she had to bring the pair back.

After she had told him that a plumber had to be paid to remove it & would have to be paid to refit it (not actually true, I did it) and asked if they were happy to meet the cost, he changed his mind.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman