Trying to Do It Myself but failing myserably

Hi Everyone, I have just installed UbuntuStudio 12.04 onto a laptop, so that I can learn a bit and try out different programs to make sure they do what I want, before I ditch Windows XP from my main machine. So far so good. I have a MobiDTV Pro dongle that came with Arcsoft TotalMedia 3.5 software

which runs quite nicely under Windows, but I am unable to find any software for it to work under UbuntuStudio. Does anyone know of any software please or a TV dongle that works under UbuntuStudio? Kindest regards, Jim G

Reply to
the_constructor

We have good news and we have bad news.

The good news is that the finest media centre software in the world is free and runs under Linux. It's called XBMC. It works with most DVB devices.

The bad news is that media centre software for Linux is generally a pig to get installed and running. Documentation is sparse and generally not very well written.

You might be better off trying the Mythbuntu variant of Ubuntu which is specifically developed for TV devices.

Reply to
Bernard Peek