TRVs

Hello,

I am fitting TRVs to most of my radiators. I realise that I need to fit a pressure valve so that the pump does not pack up if all the TRVs close. I've looked at these in online shops and they seem to be adjustable. When I get mine, what pressure should I set it to?

Thanks.

Reply to
nospam

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 22:14:34 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.org mused:

If you're only fitting TRV's to most radioators then you don't have a problem.

Reply to
Lurch

Leave them off the radiator(s) in the room where the roomstat is, but fit locksield valves at both ends so people can't turn that radiator off.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

No that's not what they're used for. Please see these parts of the DIY Wiki

?title=Central_Heating_Controls_and_Zoning#Multiple_zones:_S-plan

Reply to
John Stumbles

return when the pressure generated by the pump is high due to the zone valves being closed, but don't pass a flow when any of the zone valves are open". I can't see the difference between all the zone valve and all the TRVs being closed. Surely the net result is the same: the pump has nowhere to push the water?

Reply to
nospam

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 14:18:00 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.org mused:

But you said you didn't habe all TRV's, so you will never have a closed circuit. The only way you can close the circuit is to manually wind down the rads that don't have TRV's, and that would be user error for which there is no piece of equipment to counteract as it customer error undoubtedly outwits even the best bits of safety equipment.

Reply to
Lurch

Under the link you've left in above it says "... if TRVs are fitted to all radiators and there is no room thermostat then energy will be wasted by the boiler cycling when all rooms are up to temperature." I realise this isn't clear about what happens if you have all TRVs and _do_ have a room stat so I've added "The same problem can occur if TRVs are fitted to all radiators in a system that /does/ have a room thermostat: if the TRV in the area with the thermostat closes down while the thermostat is still calling for heat it will continue to keep the boiler firing even when all the TRVs are closed."

Does this clarify things (i.e. why you shouldn't have TRVs on all rads)?

Reply to
John Stumbles

That's correct. I have not put a TRV on the rad. in the hall because that's where the thermostat is and I was going to leave the bathroom rad. without a TRV too. I just wasn't sure whether this was enough or whether I needed a valve too.

Thanks.

Reply to
nospam

Sorry, we had our wires crossed. I realise why you should not have a TRV on the radiator with the thermostat but I wasn't sure if having just one radiator open was too much resistance, that's why I thought I might need a valve in addition. I think I was reading the url in the context of valves and pressure, whereas you quoted it to show why not all radiators should have TRVs, which caused my confusion. Thanks.

Reply to
nospam