TRV Positioning

Am replacing my rad valves with TRVs.

I was going to mount them vertically, the same as the existing valves...however, before I do so is there any benefit (Either operational or efficiency) to mounting them horizontally?

sponix

Reply to
s--p--o--n--i--x

They are supposed to work more effectively in a horizontal position, as air currents flow more freely past the sensor. However, I think they look naff mounted that way, and (having kids) look all too tempting to stand on.

I have one rad with the TRV that way round (installers put it at the wrong end and didn't notice until after the system was filled), and it is always at a noticeable lower setting for the same room temp, so there is something in that argument. But I find all the vertically-mounted ones behave perfectly acceptably.

Reply to
John Laird

One last question..

The new TRVs come with olives, compression nuts and a stub of pipe that is threaded at one end.

The radiators are 35 years old and I don't think the old 'stubs' will come out. Obviously removing the old olive I may damage the stub and have to renew the stub.

If I re-use the old nut/olives/stub is it likely to leak? Is there an easy way to remove the old stub of pipe?

sponix

Reply to
s--p--o--n--i--x

Heat and stilsons

Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 10:30:54 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@email.com (s--p--o--n--i--x) scrawled:

Shouldn't be any adverse affects from reusing the tails, they should all be the same size. Just make sure you seal them properly when you're reassembling.

Reply to
Lurch

The "stubs" are known as radiator tails. It's unlikely you will damage one in the act of removing an olive, as the olive is much softer (the tail is a lump of steel). Some tails are presented to the valve as a length of 15mm (or 1/2", same size) pipe, and the join is made with a compression fitting and an olive. If your existing tails look like this, and your valves have

15mm compression fittings on both ends, then you can use the old tails. However, some valves and tails have a mating surface which looks like part of a sphere. These must match, and will have been supplied together. If your existing pipework has these, then you will need to replace the tails. It should be easy to tell - the tightening nut is much larger than a normal 15mm compression one.

It's not usually that difficult to get tails out - I have had more trouble getting a decent seal putting new ones in (they have a tapered thread). A large hex wrench from the plumbing section of your local diy shed is the usual tool - it should exactly match the new tails. It may or may not match the old tails, or they might have internal splines which mesh with slots in the wrench. I've sometimes had to jam a large screwdriver in alongside the hex tool if the tail hole is too large. Put new ones in with PTFE tape, and do them up *tight*.

I would get a move on though - the first real cold snap will always coincide with a heating system disaster ime.

Reply to
John Laird

A comment I read here, which appears to make sense is that the TRV can be placed in the return instead of the flow (if it's a biderectional one, and I think they mostly are) on account of the return is 10 deg cooler, with a bit of luck, and the lockshield goes in the flow; I'm giving it a whirl, though I think, TBH, you just set the thingy to feel right, and it'll be ok regardless

mike

Reply to
mike ring

It had crossed my mind that they might be like that..

Do all tails have the same thread? As the rads are early 70s I'm worried that there may have been an imperial-metric changeover at some point in time.

Shhhh! Don't tempt fate!

sponix

Reply to
s--p--o--n--i--x

You need a big allen key to get them out (or rather get them in, if need be you can apply stillsons to extract them).

Reply to
Chris Bacon

The threads will all be 1/2" BSP (British Standard Pipe) - which actually has an OD of 0.825" (21mm) because it's the thread which would be on the

*outside* of an iron pipe with a nominal 1/2" bore.

Pipe threads have stayed the same over the past few decades even though copper pipe sizes have gone metric.

The only thing to watch out for is that some old radiators have 3/4" BSP (just over 1" in real money) threads - so they will have been fitted with internally/externally threaded bushes to enable them to use 1/2" valves. If your rads have got these, try not to disturb the bushes - hold the hex of the bush with a wrench whilst you unscrew the valve tail from it.

Reply to
Set Square

I never realised rads could be so much fun!

Thanks everyone who responded

sponix

Reply to
s--p--o--n--i--x

I suppose if it is placed in the return then the TRV will be less affected by the heat of the water flowing through it?

sponix

Reply to
--s-p-o-n-i-x--
-

Yes, that was the reason given here, not long ago, but I can't find it - it's prolly deeply buried by now. The same sort of reasoning as mounting them horizontally.

I doubt if it makes a ha'porth of difference, but once someone's suggested a thing like that, I just *have to do it.

(Its a BOF thing)

mike

Reply to
mike ring

Oooh! Perhaps you'd like to buy some new improved patented TRV heat shields, from Sponix Industries?

Only £19.99 each and lovingly hand crafted from cat food can lids, these shields fit simply to the TRV head using elastic bands (Not supplied) and protect the TRV from the heat radiated by the radiator!

Endorsed by John Prescott! Buy now!

sponix

Reply to
s--p--o--n--i--x

LOL :-))

mike

Reply to
mike ring

The 'stub' doesn't usually have a removable olive - it's part of the pipe.

But they're usually chrome plated, and if there's evidence of PTFE tape should come out ok.

There's a hex inside it which an allen key fits.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What does that look like, a large fist imprint?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

But he's probably got two 'combi's'

Reply to