Troubleshooting dead VCR

I know, it's hardly worth bothering...

Panasonic NV-L20B video, not in the first flush of youth, totally dead.

The power lead's good, there's a 1.6a fuse in the PSU which has continuity across it, but nothing lights up. There's a quiet "fzzclick" from the PSU when plugged in.

There's a multiplug on the PSU out going to the main circuitboard - 13 pins, the lead to one end is red, all others grey.

Any idea what pins should be giving me what voltage?

Reply to
Adrian

In article , Adrian writes

No, but find something which is obviously ground and see if you get anything obvious on the pins.

Panasonic switching PSUs are notorious for drying out their electrolytic capacitors. If you have an esr meter you could check & replace the caps in the power supply, there are not that many.

You could try posting this on sci.electronics.repair...

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

Tim Mitchell ( snipped-for-privacy@sabretechnology.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Thanks. Will try. The case of the PSU is grounded to the main board, so I'll assume that as a ground.

Ooops. That's resolved that dilemma... It's going in the bin...

Tip : Never accidentally touch the meter probe to two pins, one of which has just read 45v.... It goes fizzle, crack, and the magic smoke escapes.

The bin beckons, methinks....

Reply to
Adrian

Yes, second that. They can cause all sorts of strange fault symptoms in the machine, that you wouldn't think were related :)

If you do this yourself, be sure to use good quality 105c low esr caps, or you'll be doing it again within six months... :)

Lee

Reply to
Lee

Lol, I think most of us have done that at some point :)

As a trainee I did similar on a £5K lighting controller, the probe slipped and shorted 50v to the 5v logic circuits...

The was a thread in SER, asking what the smell of magic smoke was, I liked the answer, "Expensive" :)

It might still be worth saving though if the machine is otherwise in good nick and has the features you want. Modern machines are cheap junk :(

Lee

Reply to
Lee