Trouble finding replacement internal door lock

Hello,
I recently decided to replace a lock in an internal door, so I could use the lock again (the current one has no keys!)
I popped the lock out of the door and went down to B&Q + Homebase to try and find a replacement. However, all the ones I saw, and also the websites I've looked at that sell locks don't seem to sell this type. Most the ones for sale are very narrow, and have the handle on top, and lock below. The one I need is a very long lock with the lock on the left, and handle to the right.
I've put some photos of it here: http://photos.yahoo.com/jwoods81
Anyone got any ideas?
Thanks!
- Joe Woods

Try a locksmith? ;-)
They could probably make up a key to fit the existing lock, if it's not too worn out.
--
Andrew Gabriel

It might be as easy to get a key made up as to find a lock the right size with matching holes.

the
and
I've
right.
You're looking for a Horizontal Mortice Sash Lock, which are still be quite common, so a web search should give you a few hits.
--
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Thanks that's great, now I am getting somewhere!
I was considering getting a key made up, but the lock does seem a little old and dirty and stiff, so getting a new lock with keys for 20-30 would be a good idea. I would imagine a locksmith would want about that amount for dismantling and cleaning, and making up keys.

for
one
quite

The normal mortise lock fitted to an internal door is a simple affair and easy to strip and clean. It's also simple for a locksmith to make a key for - shouldn't be anywhere near the cost of a new decent lock. And this would have the benefit of not having to alter the door for a new lock, especially if it matches others in the house.
--
*A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it uses up a thousand times more
memory.

Or if you have a similar lock on another door you can compare where the tumblers need to go to get another key to fit it. I shouldn't think it has more than two or three tumblers or whatever they are called. Most likely there are only three or four different keys in the whole range.

Joe Woods wrote:

You could overhaul it yourself very easily; a locksmith will charge about L.7.50 for the first key, and about L.3.00 for copies.
Note that this lock fits your door and furniture - another will most likely not fit at all, so you may end up needing a new door!
be snipped-for-privacy@thai.com! Shop all amazing products and get our special offers!