Trouble emptying a septic tank

We've got major probs...

The tank. Its located in the middle of a field, half way down a *very* steep hill in a small copse. To get to it you literally scramble on all fours in places its so steep. The nearest level area that a tanker can get to is approximately 80m away and around 25m higher than the tank.

We've tried numerous companies in the South Devon area non of which can empty it. Anyone got a possible (legal) solution?

Cheers

Tony

Reply to
TonyK

Are you able to contact the previous owners of the house? Any neighbours who might know how it was emptied before?

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Lol...

When we bought this house, the 'tank' (just a brick lined hole in the ground ~6' cube overed in corrugated) hadn't been emptied in 25 years. The previous owner insisted that it it sets up a self cleaning system and never needed emptying. The reality is that it had all been overflowing into a ditch.

But back to your problem. If you can clear enough of a path for a tractor/trailer to get to within 20m, there are plenty of farmers around who'll do this for you. Tractors can go places where standard tankers can't.

If this isn't an option, then your best bet is to put in a new tank somewhere more accessible. Not as expensive as you might think.

Reply to
Grunff

Perhaps you could get Blaster Bates to come back from retirement for one last job?

Alan J. Wylie

The overflow should go to a field where it is reabsorbed into the ground. see this for a very good description of the ideal process:

MrCheerful

Shit pump at the tank to pump the stuff upwards to the lorry?

I think such things exist...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

We use to have a similar (but not so bad) problem. Emptying always required a portable pump, sitting on the septic tank and pushing the effluent up to the tanker on the lane.... half a day at least.

You might investigate any access downhill though. When we paid off the mortgage and received the deeds I discovered that all that time we had had an agreed right of access across the next downhill field, specifically for the purpose of emptying the septic tank.

Reply to
Tony Williams

Ditto! Local farmers like earning a few quid doing this - just don't ask where it goes. A friend hasn't emptied hers for 15 years and it seems to be coping and that it just draining into a soak away.

A common mistake is to lift the lid and see water almost upto the lid and think it needs emptying. If your soakaway is in good nick and the baffles haven't failed, chances are you have quite a long time to solve the problem.

Tony

Reply to
Tony

this is the worrying bit... the last people to empty it did so 8 years ago. Involved 4 blokes and 3 days of shovelling according to a neighbour.

Reply to
TonyK

Cheers for the commiserations. I may have a word with a local farmer but we tried a tractor already and it cannot get close to the tank, nor can a mini digger! I mighjt try our local water company, I assume they would have powerful pumps?

Reply to
TonyK

What a bloody stupid place to put it!

How dig they dig the thing in the first place?

Tony

Reply to
Tony

Really, really not worth it. It's just long term hassle - unless you plan to sell up soon. Fit a new tank somewhere sensible. A new tank + digger hire + 60m of 4" soil pipe will still come in under a grand.

Reply to
Grunff

Portable pump to transfer the contents downhill to tanker. Probably the only practical method always assuming you can get a longer set of pipes. Consider a mini treatment plant to replace it located in a more accessible place.

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Having just gone through a similar loop it is not that easy! Because of the need to tell any purchaser that all work has been done lawfully you will need building regulations approval which is the easy bit. The difficult bit is getting consent from the Environment Agency who are unlikely to allow you to construct a new septic tank and soakaway if a mini treatment plant is feasible.

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Oh...in that case...

;o)

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Fill them with reeds and irises. You might consider using less detergent the phosphorous makes the the microbes behave like gremlins at a beach barbie. Also water use these days is much greater than the original design was made for.

Why do I get the idea that the problem is understanding the previous culture of this country?

Reply to
Michael McNeil

Put in by the Yanks when they used the place as a command centre for practice D-Day landings.

Typical, just bloody typical!

Reply to
TonyK

Oh bad idea ;-( Water companies and the Environment Agency are best avoided if you have a septic tank. You have not said WHY you feel the need to empty it if its working ok.

Reply to
Mark

Because it supports 70 people in one building and hasn;t been emptied for about 8 years. Oh... and the EA say it needs it :-(((

Reply to
TonyK

That may be a regional thing. I've just had a new septic tank and soakaway put in and the Environment Agency never made any mention of a mini treatment plant.

Cheers,

John

Reply to
John Anderton