Triton T80xr electric shower

My shower, 7 months old, has an intermittent problem since new whereby when you turn the water off during your shower and turn it on again, after the initial hotter slug of water the thermostat doesn't kick in and the water runs cold continuously, for more than 1 minute. If you switch off the flow and switch back on again it usually works ok and the water runs at the normal warm temp. Troton sent a man who blamed the pressure. Pressure tested by water supplier and found to be 3.5 bars. On second enquiry to Triton they told me that this model works like this and you must turn the water to 'cold' just before you turn it off. If this is so (which I doubt) why are there references to this in the users' instruction book? Any one got any experience of this problem?

Reply to
rich

They are supposed to run cold for a set amount of time because of safety issues. Just how long that period of time is, I don't know.

John

Reply to
John

This problem only occurs about 1 in 3 times, on most occasions the water runs at normal temperature after a second or two. I have had an electric shower for 20 years and never had this problem before.

Reply to
rich

I've had 2 Trito T80 showers & neither did that AFAIR.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

There is a thermal cut out to prevent water overheating.

If you turn the shower off when hot, the water in the shower will continue to rise from the residual heat in the heater element for a while, getting over temperature. If you then turn on again (like when the next person gets in the shower) the cutout will turn the heater off but should reset and allow the heater back on after a short (painful) blast of cold water.

If it is running cold for a while, there is probably a fault in the thermal cut out which is preventing it from resetting when it should. This is also indicated by the cut out resetting if you turn the shower off then on.

If you want to avoid the 'cold then hot' issue you should turn the heat off for a couple of seconds before you turn the shower off, to allow the heating element to cool. As soon as the water starts to run cool (not cold) turn the shower off.

Some modern electric showers will run for a short while after you turn them off to cool the element and avoid this issue.

Conclusion; faulty shower with easy remedy to avoid the problem.

HTH

Dave R

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts