Trimming door

Just trying to hang a door and found that the frame is 9mm wider at the top than the bottom. Is it best to adjust the door or frame and how ? I'm not very good with planing so would prefer to avoid having to trim the latch side of the door. Then again I suppose I must keep the hinge side absolutely straight so may have no choice ! Any ideas ? Thanks

Reply to
Stephen

Assuming the door is big enough for the frame, I would not touch the frame but would trim the door. I would make the door only 5mm wider at the top than at the bottom - on the basis that you can vary the door to frame gap by a couple of mm each side between top and bottom without it looking untoward. You need to have the top of the door parallel with the top of the frame, and the bottom parallel with the floor. You will have to determine exactly where the frame is out of square in order to work out which bits of door to attack. I would carefully mark the bits of door to be removed, and use a power plane for the job. Get the door fitting the frame nicely *before* fitting any of the door furniture.

Reply to
Set Square

Check very carefully to find out *which* frame upright is plumb, knowing that the frame is somewhat tapered - since hinges should be placed in recesses made into a truly vertical frameside (checked in two planes), but - in your case -any error must be compensated for with packing pieces of differing thicknesses. You may find to your surprise that the latch side has less than 7mm gap at the top when finished. Jim

Reply to
Jim Gregory

The frame has come loose and the packers have dropped. Most door casings are some 1/2" narower than the opening they fit into.

Take the door of and remove the archtraves on one side. Extractt he packers and refit the frame. You may get away without having to do anything to the original fixings if you have a clean gap to bang the leg back into.

You'll need to redrill though or V-nail if you have a timber stud to fix to.

And you will want a new door.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

If it's a new door, I'd adjust the frame. IMO better to impose squareness on the structure rather than modify new things to follow the contours of an old house. If you position the door and stick a spirit level on the top, it should be obvious where your adjustments need to be made. If you're not too good with the plane, just don't go down that other road.....:-)

Reply to
Stuart Noble