Trimming Bi-fold doors

I've been looking for bi-fold doors for my nice new but very compact bathroom. Unfortunately the door frames in this house are all metric sizes, this one being 726mm(28 3/4") x 2040mm (80 1/4"). Days of searching the net has revealed no supplier or manufacturer of metric bi-folds.

BUT there are plenty available at 762 (30") x 1981 (78"). The height can easily be accommodated by adding to the door frame. According to the fitting instructions supplied with ones in Homebase 9mm can safely be trimmed from either side. Would it be reasonable to remove the central hinges, remove 9mm from each of the four sides and then replace the hinges?

The central stiles are the same size as the outer ones so I cannot see why not. Just want reassurance before I shell out.

Anyone foresee any problems??

TIA

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Holmes

I can't see any problems with your plan, one solution i found for a small room was to use a normal door cut down the centre and hinged at both sides, it then only opens into the room by half the doors width (15"), you could try it with your existing door, depending on the construction.

Reply to
andrewd909

Be careful doing this with modern "egg crate" doors. These have cardboard stiffening to the thin door panels in the centre and only have real wood in the thickness around the edges.

You can get narrow doors made for this purpose.

Reply to
John Weston