Trickling sound from cold water tank.

I'm a tenant of an ex-council flat and unfortunately the cold water tank is in a cupboard in my bedroom. There has been problems with the ball c*ck in the tank, and I believe a plumber has replaced it. However, when the toilet is flushed or someone takes a shower, the tank is very noisy when refilling. There is a gush for about five mins then it continues to trickle for up to an hour. As you can imagine, this keeps me up at night.

Is the tank malfunctioning? Is there anything that can be done to make it quieter?

Thanks!

Reply to
trickytenant

The message from "trickytenant" contains these words:

You could fit a silencer. They used to be a length of rigid plastic that went from the outfall of the valve to below the water level so it doesn't splash. These are no longer allowed as there was a chance of sucking (potentially dirty) water backwards into the (supposedly clean) mains.

So - now they're made of a length of layflat polythene tube which does the same job but won't allow suckback.

Reply to
Guy King

You could fit a torbeck- type valve instead of the conventional ball valve. This allows full flow until the tank is virtually up to the required level, and then turns off very quickly. [You might get a gentle thud as it turns off, but this is probably better than your current Chinese water torture.]

Reply to
Roger Mills

Thanks for the great advice.. sounds like its an easy problem to fix, i'll get onto my landlord

Rachael

Reply to
trickytenant